PDA

View Full Version : Motor just died on my TS

Alex Berkovsky
08-14-2006, 7:57 PM
I was working on a dresser tonight and after one cut the saw (Craftsman 22124) would not start. The blade spun slowly and came to complete stop. I noticed that the thermal overload button popped out on the switch so I reset it and tried restarting the saw - the motor hummed for a few seconds but the button popped again. The saw is still under extended warranty so I'll be placing a call tomorrow to Sears or Orion. I sure didn't expect a motor to fail after a 1 1/2 of light use.

Randy Meijer
08-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Sounds like the start capacitor may have gone on vacation??

Don Baer
08-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I agree the starting Cap or maybe the centrifical switch.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Alex...........it sounds like the either the centrifugal switch or the starting capacitor has gone south. If you have an air compressor, try blowing out around the motor. Some sawdust may have gotten into the switch and is preventing it from putting the starting capacitor into the circuit.

Good luck!

Alex Berkovsky
08-15-2006, 7:51 AM
...If you have an air compressor, try blowing out around the motor. Some sawdust may have gotten into the switch and is preventing it from putting the starting capacitor into the circuit.

Good luck!Ken,
I don't have an air compressor, but may be able to borrow it from a neighbor tonight. Nevertheless, I will call Sears first thing in the morning to schedule someone to come out just in case.

Frank Fusco
08-15-2006, 9:41 AM
Alex...........it sounds like the either the centrifugal switch or the starting capacitor has gone south. If you have an air compressor, try blowing out around the motor. Some sawdust may have gotten into the switch and is preventing it from putting the starting capacitor into the circuit.

Good luck!

That was my first thought after a similar experience with the motor on my Grizzly lathe. Blowing out the c-switch fixed it. Might not even need an air compressor, soft brush and mouth blowing might be sufficient.

scott spencer
08-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Ken,
I don't have an air compressor, but may be able to borrow it from a neighbor tonight. Nevertheless, I will call Sears first thing in the morning to schedule someone to come out just in case. Alex - You might even try unplugging it and spraying with WD-40, prodding at it gently with a screw driver, or a giving it a few light taps on the housing to see if the centrifugal switch is stuck. I've had that happen with other motors, and that technique worked fine.

Alex Berkovsky
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
OK... I'll give it a blow :eek: . In the meantime, Orion is sending out a new motor and will have the UPS pick up the old one.