PDA

View Full Version : Planer stand Idea

Don Baer
08-14-2006, 7:03 PM
Since I have a new planer (dw 735) I have been thinking about my new shoplayout. One of the things I want to make is a stand for the planer. The cabinate/stand is 6 ' long and the infeed side and outfeed sides are both 24" wide. the whole thing is 24" deep. The idea is to help prevent snipe. So what are your thoughts ?

Burt Waddell
08-14-2006, 7:29 PM
Don,

You just plugged the DeWalt Planer. Don't forget, Delta, Makita, Hitachi, etc.

Burt

Don Baer
08-14-2006, 7:40 PM
Don,

Burt

I don't have to you did it for me.

Jamie Buxton
08-14-2006, 7:48 PM
I'd make the cabinet's top flat, and build separate supports to sit on the top on both sides of the planer. That way, you get to temporarilly move the planer if you want to do something else on the bench. You also get to buy a different planer without having to scrap the bench.

Julio Navarro
08-14-2006, 7:56 PM
There was a thread about that. It showed a planner(generic:p) and it had a long table top that ran through the planner throat it puported to eliminate snipe.

I'll try to find it.

Burt Waddell
08-14-2006, 7:58 PM
Don,

Now for a serious answer. Your idea looks good. Personally, I have my planer mounted on a roller stand along with a small dust collector and a 30 gallon trash collector. The planer and dust collector both run on the same 20 amp circuit with out any problem. With this setup, I can take the planer to the most convenient place for the project I am doing.

Burt

Vaughn McMillan
08-14-2006, 8:02 PM
Don,

Burt Don doesn't mention DeWalt planers in virtually every post he makes. Glad to see you're branching out a bit, too.

'Nuff said.

- Vaughn

Scott Vigder
08-14-2006, 8:08 PM
Don,

Burt
I don't see how mentioning the tool you bought can be considered a plug so I'll assume this is a joke. Did you get the extension wings with your DeWalt? The wings virtually eliminated any snipe I occassionally saw from my DeWalt 735 (not Makita or Hitachi or etc.). As with any portable planer, proper feeding technique is the best way to eliminate snipe.

I also believe portability of the planer is important. I wheel mine in between the jointer and TS to maximize efficiency. Joint an edge, parallel it at the TS, joint the face then pop it into the planer. Then wheel the planer into a neutral corner until I'm ready for its next adventure.

Burt Waddell
08-14-2006, 8:16 PM
Scott,

I personally use the Makita. I've had a Makita as my primary planer for several years. I've bought Delta, DeWalt, etc but they quickly leave and I keep the makita.

Burt

Jerry Olexa
08-14-2006, 8:47 PM
Don, looks good but a simple idea that worked for me: allow for some "adjustability" (vertically) on either the planer area or the supports. The meeting of the 3 surfaces is important and I'm able to adjust mine so I get virtually no snipe. Just be aware before you fasten those final surfaces. G'Luck