PDA

View Full Version : The Taming of the Skew: Part 3

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 6:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well, my road trip cancelled so I will post part 3 this evening. Yesterday I posted a review of a few kits that I bought and one was a scratch awl from PSI. Pictured in this post is one of awls and the skew and steps that I used to make the handle for this scratch awl.

Probably the most important about using a skew is the same for any other tool; rub the bevel. The second it, take light cuts. This is contrary to what some do with a big roughing gouge. A skew can't be "muscled" through wood, it's kind of like a plane blade set too deep, it just won't work. However, it will take very nice shavings and work quite fast considering that in much spindle work this single tool is all you need. And nothing turns a better bead.

The next concept that is important is keeping the cutting edge near vertical to the rotation of the piece, and always working down hill.

I hope the pictures convey the idea and I will happily answer any questions I can. Also, let me repeat, I am not suggesting I am an expert with this tool by any means and there are probably plenty of tips to be shared here so feel free to comment and offer suggestions.

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 6:59 PM
one more picture...

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 9:35 PM
Thanks for the tutorial Chris.

Looks like in the third where you skewed your finger up.:p

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 9:57 PM
Thanks Ernie,

Looks like #3 isn't exactly a "barn burner.":rolleyes:

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the lesson Chris, do you hone your skews ? or do you prefer just using a good bur? I have to different uses for skews Cutting very clean shoulders and beads on my posts, and shaving off a a feather off of a turning for a no sanding or as close as possible to that as possible. The first one is a one inch sorby i keep it straight and sharp. the second is a 3/4 inch and I grind it with a curve on it .

Bob

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks Ernie,

Looks like #3 isn't exactly a "barn burner.":rolleyes:
Chris, what I meant was that theere looksto be a bandaid on your finger in that pic.:)

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the lesson Chris, do you hone your skews ? or do you prefer just using a good bur? I have to different uses for skews Cutting very clean shoulders and beads on my posts, and shaving off a a feather off of a turning for a no sanding or as close as possible to that as possible. The first one is a one inch sorby i keep it straight and sharp. the second is a 3/4 inch and I grind it with a curve on it .

Bob

Hi Rob,

Once I have a good edge on my skews I tend just to touch them up with a diamond hone, this is especially ture when I am doing fine work much as you suggest in your post. Fortunately, even with repeated trips to the grinder, sharpening by hand and not by jig takes little metal off and the overall change in shape in the skew is minor.:)

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Chris, what I meant was that theere looksto be a bandaid on your finger in that pic.:)

Good eye there Ernie! The bandaid is covering a wound I got from what is the most dangerous item in my shop, wood splinters...:o

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi Rob,

Once I have a good edge on my skews I tend just to touch them up with a diamond hone, this is especially ture when I am doing fine work much as you suggest in your post. Fortunately, even with repeated trips to the grinder, sharpening by hand and not by jig takes little metal off and the overall change in shape in the skew is minor.:)

Thanks Chris, looks like you have a real good grasp of the skew from here.

Bob

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 2:56 AM
Chris:

I can't remember where I saw those skew videos---in roughing to round, however, have you tried using the skew as a rotary peeler?