PDA

View Full Version : Attention Jet Mini Lathe Owners

Ken Salisbury
10-02-2003, 10:55 AM
As has been previously mentioned on this and other forums the Jet Mini Lathe has always had a tailstock creeping problem which sometimes requires relocking the tailstock from time to time.

Keith Outten has designed a square washer/block to replace the round one under the tailstock. He sent me one a couple of weeks ago. I only got around to installing it yesterday and all I can say is "Wow". It makes a huge difference in the stability of the tailstock. Thanks Keith ! ! !

I am sure Keith would be willing to make some more of these to sell if you are interested.

Mark Hulette
10-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Ken-
I was thinking about that upgrade the other day. Keith mentioned he might be able to come up with a few of them for SMC'ers. With Isabel and all they have been through lately, I'd forgotten to PM him regarding his offer. Thanks for reminding me and for the endorsement.

Keith,
If it's not too much trouble, I'd like a square washer to replace the round one. Let me know how much $$.

Thanks!

Scott Greaves
10-02-2003, 4:12 PM
Nope, nope, nope! He can't do it! He's supposed to be making some of these up for me first! :D

I think these are a great idea! And I do believe there are a lot of people out there who could use these. And not just Jet Mini owners. I think the little Mercury has the same problems.

Keith, let us know when things are back to normal for you!

Scott.

Keith Outten
10-02-2003, 5:00 PM
Well thanks Ken for the recommendation. I just received the material I ordered last week to make another bunch of the clamp blocks for the Jet Mini's. I hope to have about ten of the blocks made this weekend. As soon as I can order a power feed for my mill/drill I should be able to make them a little faster.

The blocks are $24.95 each, (free shipping) plus tax if you live in Virginia. You can order just one for the tailstock or a set if you want an additional one for your tool rest. I think the stock bracket on the tool rest is fine but if anyone wants to replace it just order a set, both blocks are identical.

What's New !
I have received permission to build the KISS Tool Rests designed by James Johnson. James has shipped all of his jigs and fixtures plus a few other goodies to me so that I can duplicate them and start building his tool rests. As soon as I build my own fixtures my Dad and I will be building the KISS wood lathe tool rests for those interested and we will offer custom services for you power turners as well.

All of this is in response to the email I received last month, lots of you wanted to order the blocks and tool rests. As soon as I have everything ready you will be able to order directly from my web site. I have been giving lots of thought to other modifications to my Jet Mini, I will be sure to post my ideas as each phase of my "Tricked Out Jet Mini" is completed. I wil try to provide drawings or sketches of each item for those of you who want to build your own goodies.

Barry Konkin
11-17-2003, 1:50 PM
Keith:

I've have lots of tailstock slip in the last while with my Jet Mini, and I'd like to buy one of your tailstock blocks.

Can I send you $$ by paypal??

Barry Konkin
Richmond BC
Canada

Stan Thigpen
11-17-2003, 2:10 PM
I have the Delta Midi lathe which I thought was nearly identical to the Jet with a few minor differences. I have had no problem with tail stock slippage. Am I just lucky, or is there a difference between the two in this respect?

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-17-2003, 3:35 PM
Keith, as I discussed with you previously, I am interested in a tailstock block for my Mini Lathe as well. Just let me know how to send payment, I will get it to you ASAP. I have noticed a substantial amount of tailstock creep on my Mini.................and no matter how tight ya cinch it down, it still creeps. Let me know, and thank you for providing us Mini owners a chance to share your great idea. I appreciate it Keith! :)

Keith Outten
11-17-2003, 4:55 PM
I haven't forgotten anyone, I have already made and shipped a bunch of these blocks, I can't believe how popular they are. I have another batch of ten almost ready to ship and I just put Mark, Barry and Scott on the list. Sorry about not getting these on my web site and having the PayPal setup, I'll get Jackie to work on that while I finish machining the blocks.

I will email each of you as soon as I have this set of blocks ready to ship.

Mike Leonard
11-18-2003, 7:43 AM
Keith,

Put me on your list for two. I am in Puerto Rico right now but when I get back next month I will come out and see you and settle up.

Thanks

Scott Greaves
11-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Thanks Keith!

For those of you who are interested, the KISS toolrest that Keith will now be making is a great toolrest! I have three of them of different lengths, and I need Keith to make me at least one or two more. Don't miss out on these toolrests, they are a true classic.

Scott.

John Miliunas
11-19-2003, 7:58 AM
OK, where in the heck was I when all this discussion for the KISS toolrest came about?! :( Exactly *what* are all you guys swooning about? Pictures? Article? Both? :cool:

Keith Outten
11-19-2003, 4:54 PM
OK, where in the heck was I when all this discussion for the KISS toolrest came about?! :( Exactly *what* are all you guys swooning about? Pictures? Article? Both? :cool:

John,

I can't believe we sneaked this one by you :)

It's true, James Johnson the original designer of the Kiss Tool Rests for woodworking lathes is allowing me to build his line of tool rests. James sent me his custom jigs and fixtures for me to duplicate and a sample tool rest. I have just about finished tooling up to start producing the Kiss Tool Rests and have completely stocked my shop with enough material for almost any size lathe and any manufacturer. I will even be able to offer shaft sizes for metric lathes and custom lengths.

There is an article at Wood Central about James Johnson and his simply elegant design. I don't have any pictures yet but I will have some very soon. Stay Tuned :D

Both of my email boxes are bulging at the seams from people who want the Jet Mini Lathe Blocks, I can't wait to see the response from the new Tool Rests.......

John Miliunas
11-19-2003, 10:22 PM
John,

I can't believe we sneaked this one by you :)

Well, you did indeed! Maybe it was during the chaos otherwise known as "the move"! :rolleyes: You can be sure I'll check it out now, though, because I'm not really too thrilled with the toolrest(s) on my current setup. Thanks for the info! :cool:

Keith Outten
11-21-2003, 4:39 PM
For those of you who want to order the tailstock blocks for the Jet Mini Lathe via PayPal here is the link;

Link Removed

Click on the Tailstock Block for Jet Mini Lathe "Add To Cart"

All orders received this weekend should be shipped on Monday morning.

Barry Konkin
03-30-2004, 4:22 PM
Keith:

Have you been able to ship the tailstock blocks yet?

Keith Outten
03-30-2004, 8:14 PM
Barry,

You Bet! I have shipped several batches of the blocks out over the last few months. I have had several people ask for them lately so I hope to make another batch of 10 blocks later this week. Six are already sold, send me a Private Message with your postal address and I will reserve a block for you. The first two blocks are for Mike Leonard, he has been waiting forever.

Current price is $24.00 with free shipping

Barry Konkin
03-30-2004, 9:44 PM
Barry,

You Bet! I have shipped several batches of the blocks out over the last few months. I have had several people ask for them lately so I hope to make another batch of 10 blocks later this week. Six are already sold, send me a Private Message with your postal address and I will reserve a block for you. The first two blocks are for Mike Leonard, he has been waiting forever.

Current price is $24.00 with free shipping

I sent a paypl payment (which showed up on my credit card bill today). can you confirm if you shipped it?

Scott Greaves
03-31-2004, 3:28 PM
Keith!

Have you had a chance to do anything with the KISS toolrests yet?

Scott.

Philip Duffy
02-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Keith, Where can I come to pick up a block? I am in James City CO. Also, when will the KISS tool rests be ready? Can we see them somewhere on the web? Thanks! Phil

Ken Salisbury
02-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Keith, Where can I come to pick up a block? I am in James City CO. Also, when will the KISS tool rests be ready? Can we see them somewhere on the web? Thanks! Phil

Phil

See this thread in the Classified Forum: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16868

Scott Loven
02-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Keith, your web site has $0.00 as a cost for the tailstock block
Scott

Ken Salisbury
02-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Keith, your web site has $0.00 as a cost for the tailstock block
Scott

Go to the link in my last post here

RichMagnone
02-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Now it says discontinued!

Keith Outten
02-16-2005, 3:01 PM
Sorry Gang,

Because my sign making workload has been so heavy for the last couple of months I have not been able to do any metal work. I had to discontinue making the Jet Mini Tailstock blocks and the Kiss Toolrests as well. Possibly in the future my workload will change but I will soon have to submit design samples for the new USS Monitor building at Mariners Museum and I'm still trying to find time to experiment with the new CNC router. It's really nice to be busy but lately it has been 16 hour days :)