PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench 22" high!

Peter Pedisich
08-14-2006, 2:59 PM
...but for a 3-1/2 year old it's just right. My son wanted a workbench like daddy's.
Made from cutoffs I've saved (first class pack-rat)

Beadlock loose tenons (double 3/8") on end leg frames and pocket holed the stretchers to the legs + two quick coats of shellac.

Nothing special but he loves it, that's enough for me. I want him to learn that not everything comes from a store.

Thanks for looking,

Pete

Geoff Harris
08-14-2006, 3:15 PM
A great project! I should be making one for my 3 1/2 year old, but then I don't have my own bench finished yet!

Jim Becker
08-14-2006, 3:17 PM
Wonderful!! Looks just like the real thing. Umm...come to think of it, it IS the real thing!! (Nice job!)

Mike Leigh
08-14-2006, 3:21 PM
that's a nice bench fur sure!
Is wondering here, what kind of joints did you use? Looks like pocket screws just under the top? Tenon joints for the rest?
I'm a dowel nut here, is wondering if I could build one using Miller dowels?

Mike Leigh
08-14-2006, 3:26 PM
...but for a 3-1/2 year old it's just right. My son wanted a workbench like daddy's.
Made from cutoffs I've saved (first class pack-rat)

Beadlock loose tenons (double 3/8") on end leg frames and pocket holed the stretchers to the legs + two quick coats of shellac.

Nothing special but he loves it, that's enough for me. I want him to learn that not everything comes from a store.

Thanks for looking,

Pete

Ooops! Sorry about that, see the tenon infro above, I've really got to slow down and learn how to read! Great Job!:(

Wes Bischel
08-14-2006, 3:33 PM
Pete,
Looks great! I made one for Sam a while back as well. I put a miniature bench vise on it (metal, not wood working) and he likes smashing things with it.:rolleyes: I've been surprised how well he takes care of his - brushes all my dust off it everytime we're in the shop.

Gee Dad, I don't think you even have a bench that nice!;)

Wes

Richard Wolf
08-14-2006, 4:36 PM
Great job Pete, looks like a first class bench.

Richard

Chris Padilla
08-14-2006, 5:13 PM
Excellent execution, Pete...now don't go sneaking off and using Junior's bench ('cause I see all sorts of good stuff for a bench that high! ;) )

Jerry Strojny
08-14-2006, 5:25 PM
I love it. What a great little project. It will be treasured for sure. (Wish I had one when I was that small.)

I need to "sticky" this in my little book of projects for the kids as they get old enough.

Bart Leetch
08-14-2006, 5:46 PM
Great job Pete.

Now remember that is not a pile it bench a place to pile stuff so your bench stay empty.:eek: :D

Jim Benante
08-14-2006, 5:50 PM
Cool work bench! I think my son would love it, even though daddy would have to then build one to match for himself.

Peter Pedisich
08-14-2006, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

And Wes, you're right, my bench is not as nice.:o

Pete

John Bailey
08-14-2006, 9:40 PM

Looks special to me Peter. Lucky son:).

John

W Craig Wilson
08-15-2006, 9:13 PM
Nice work, but are you ready to up-size it every two or three years?

Kids - keep watern' & feedn' em and they grow like weeds!