PDA

View Full Version : Fine Woodworking and Lonnie Byrd

Lars Thomas
08-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that Lonnie Byrd appears in both the mast head for Fine Woodworking as a contributing editor AND an ad for a saw blade manufacturer in the same issue. Here is a guy that is obviously an authority on the subject, yet the association creates the appearance of a conflict of interest. I’m just kind of sensitive to that kind of thing. Does this sit OK with you?

Lee DeRaud
08-14-2006, 1:12 PM
I don't have any problem with it, but I may discount any recommendations they make for that product. Given that the magazine is taking advertising money from a bunch of different manufacturers, there's an inherent underlying possibility of a conflict of interest anyway...you can either accept that or not, same as for any other advertising-supported periodical.

Al Willits
08-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I think most magazines depend on advertising dollars.
Considering that, I normally don't give a lot of weight to their reviews.

Al

Jim Becker
08-15-2006, 9:49 AM
Well...like in any profession, endorsements are becoming a more important way to earn income. I can't blame furniture makers for jumping on this, either, since it's a tough way to make a living, even when you are the "best of the best". As to "conflict of interest"...I see none unless he is writing a review of products that compete with his endorsement arrangement. But he's a well-known maker and writes articles about making furniture, etc. So...no problem. IMHO, of course.

As to advertising affecting product reviews, at most magazines this is not going to be the case. Most carefully segregate this activity because they KNOW folks may not trust them on it. Further, the business cycle for reviews is very different from advertising. I say this because I have had a first hand view with one major woodworking magazine's review process...and was impressed with how sensitive they are to this particular issue.

Jerry Olexa
08-15-2006, 12:21 PM
I think this is a "fact of life" today. Ad $ are vital to a magazine's survival. Why do some mags virtually give away their subsriptions? To impress advertisers w pumped circulation numbers IMHO...I have no prob w lonnie in an ad. We have to be discerning in our purchasing decisions also. Even Norm uses a lot of Delta, etc

Al Willits
08-15-2006, 3:44 PM
I'd like to believe ya Jim, but often do you see a negative review on a product that a mag has advertisment in?

Just went though the 7 audio mags and 4 wood working mags I have at work and can't find a one???

Can't all them products be latest, greatest and best can they??

Also it would be finacial suicide to berate the people who advertise in your mag.

I'm betting most don't give quite as glowing a review if the product is a piece of dodo...imho

Al who'd like to be wrong on this one..:)

Chris Padilla
08-15-2006, 4:47 PM
I've seen Grizzly roasted in some product tests in the same rag in which they were advertising (American Woodworker I believe but not sure). The head honco at Grizzly, Sal Balolia (sp?), had a letter to the editor printed in the next issued. Summarized, he said they were addressing the problem(s) and to note how biases were most certainly left out of the testing and he thanked the testers for bringing the news out in the open.

Joe Mioux
08-15-2006, 8:49 PM
FWW accepts advertising from anyone willing to pay for said advertising.

Competing companies all advertise in the magazine, except you do not see much Grizzly advertising there.

Given that info, FWW was not swayed by ad dollars when they selected a Griz jointer, earlier this year as a "best buy" (or something like that).

My point is that any publication is going to accept ad dollars from any company in order to be successful and make a profit.

I doubt that much "sway and influence" is exihibited by any mfr'r when it comes to product endorsement or testing by any magazine.

Look around your world and look at all the celebrity endorsements there are. They are effective, but that doesn't mean that any celebrity's employer is being swayed one way or the other.

Joe