PDA

View Full Version : Wood movement in small octagonal table top

Allen Prell
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Should I be concerned with wood movement in a small octagonal table top with wood segments as in the attached diagram? Each segment has the grain running parallel with the outside edge. I'm afraid that some of the joints will be weak and fail over time since they are just end-grain to end-grain with biscuits. What could I do to improve the joint strength?

I could modify the design but would like to prevent any end-grain from showing since this piece will be stained. Thanks for the advice.

Lee Schierer
08-14-2006, 12:32 PM
To improve the strength of the joints, I would suggest using pocket hole screws between opposite pieces and along the center line. If you put them on the bottom side they shouldn't be noticeable in teh fianl piece.

You'll also want to insure that your wood is uniformly dry before you start attaching pieces together.

Is there any chance you can make the table from one piece of plywood and glue veneer to the top surface? It would be much stronger that way.

I made a lazy susan from four pieces glued as you have the ends of your table with the grain parallel to the outside edge and it still opened up along one joint.

Lee

Jamie Buxton
08-14-2006, 6:39 PM
The problem with wide miter joints in solid wood is that when the wood tries to expand (across the grain only), it makes a gap along the outside of the miter. Conversely, when the wood tries to contract, it makes a gap at the inside of the miter. The biscuit joints probably will not actually fail structurally. You just may get unsightly gaps.

tod evans
08-14-2006, 6:55 PM
allen, i would not build this table out of solid. if you like the pattern of the grain then veneer would be my choice to achieve that look....02 tod