PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive advice

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 4:02 AM
Yesterday I posted my Saturday's lathing disaster. Today the LOML and I drove to Spokane. I purchased some cherry and some tigerwood. This evening I turned and began the finishing of a tigerwood stem for a glass goblet. Tiger wood turns well and I'm happy with the figure in the wood. I will take photos and post later.

Question...I need to adhere the glass goblet to the stem I turned....Would you use epoxy or RTV as an adhesive?

Thanks!

tod evans
08-14-2006, 7:35 AM
ken, i`ve had real good luck with dap alex-plus caulking......it`ll stick bricks to glass...02 tod

Michael Stafford
08-14-2006, 7:41 AM
Ken, there is an adhesive specifically designed for this application. I use it for attaching mirrors to wooden pieces. It resembles silicone and indeed that may be what it is. I know that aquariums are held together in the corners with silicone. Silicone will definitely bond glass to wood and provides some flexibility as the two materials contract and expand independently. My.02....

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Ken, you can try an adhesive called "E 6000", Very good stuff, and will adhere just about anything to anything. I have seen it at Walmart, and all the chain craft stores.

Or, try this website:

www.thistothat.com

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Ken I have used both Silicone and the E 6000. Both work well with glass.

Michael Cody
08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Check out a site called www.thistothat.com (http://www.thistothat.com) .. me I use clear silicone sealent...