PDA

View Full Version : Busy Weekend - Small Gloat - Long Story Part 2

Raymond Overman
08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
As some of you pointed out, and I thank you for wishing me well, Friday was my birthday. Last week a number of birthday wishes and cards came my way and it just so happens that a number of them contained the gift that always fits and is always the right color. So with gift in hand, I decided to stop by my local Klingspor and pick up a toy that I had my eye on. Attached are photos of my new Foredom SR rotary tool. I like it quite a bit but I'm going to have to do some more practicing and get used to all of the nuances of using it. It can be much more aggressive than a Dremel.

The pics are of the bit, the motor, and the first project I used it on. The carving is rough and the bowl has a somewhat primitive look to it but I like it overall.

Spalted Pecan, "John 6: 1-15"
Semi - Gloss Laquer, Black Gesso
9" diameter by 4" tall

Keith Burns
08-14-2006, 9:51 AM
Interesting work Raymond. You are definately expanding your horizons, and ours:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Looks mighty fine Raymond. I have 3 of those Foredom tools in my clockshop. Sure does give me some ideas now. Thanks for posting.

Mike Vickery
08-14-2006, 1:35 PM
Very nice work. Just to throw this out to see what you think I have been working on decrating bowls with carving and burning and have found image transfers to the rounded surface a bit of a pain. I recently got some rubber stamps in designs I liked from Michaels and stamp the image on the wood then trace it with pencil and remove the ink from the stamp with acetone prior to working on the image. (when carving with out removeing the ink first it had a tendency to bleed into the carvings or smudge, and I do not think it would be good for my burning pen tip.)
What image transfer method are you using, and how do you like it?

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-14-2006, 1:55 PM
Looks nice, Raymond, and a great gloat, too.

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 8:34 PM
Well Happy belated Birthday Raymond. Nice gloat. The bowl looks great, but you need to feed those fish... they're a bit thin.:p