PDA

View Full Version : Busy Weekend - Small Gloat - Long Story

Raymond Overman
08-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Papa came and visited his grandaughter this weekend and decided to spend a little time with #1 son too. He just got back from Honduras two weekends ago. This is his third mission trip with his church and this time they sent two Delta iron bed lathes, bench grinders, and tools down ahead of them. Part of Papa's mission included teaching woodturning in hopes to draw more of the men to the church for fellowship and worship. They already had programs for women and children but needed something for the men. He was happy to report back that the lathes were a huge success and the men were making small bowls and even tops for the local orphanage before it was time for him to come home.

So, if that wasn't a gloat enough, Papa brought me a little wood from Honduras this weekend. Attached are pictures of amarillo, cedro, cumbio, and laurel blanks. The two logs are some live oak that he brought me from Southport, NC. It should be pretty interesting.

I'll be posting pics as soon as I can get a few of these spun up.

Corey Hallagan
08-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Alright and good for your dad. Can't wait to see what you turn that wood into!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 2:09 AM
Congrats....to your Dad....you......and Congrats on the wood! Can't wait to see what Overman's emerge from that stash!

Keith Burns
08-14-2006, 9:47 AM
Congrats on the wood Raymond:) :) Any chance your Dad has any pics of his trip that you could post?

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Congrats to you and your dad Raymond. Hope your dad took some pic's. Can't wait to see some turnings from that wood stash.

Dale Overman
08-14-2006, 4:12 PM
In response to thew pic request from Raymond, yes I think the group took about 2100 pics while in Hondurus. I have a few I took teaching the young kids at the orphanage. They really took on to the lathe. The shop teacher there really learned fast and all he needs iss some time making threads and mulch. The main fear I have is they do not spend much time with a file or bench grinder so I am afraid they will not keep the tools sharp. I guess they will learn though. I am not much on this modern thing called a computer so when I get some lessons from Number one Son I'll try to send some pics of the kids turning. Thanks to all for the comments on the spalted collection.

Raymond Overman
08-14-2006, 4:23 PM
I would say it didn't happen without pics but I'm the one who has to teach him how to resize them... then post them... at least twice... so it may take some time. :rolleyes:

Dale Overman
08-14-2006, 4:27 PM
Yes we took over 2100 pics while in Hondurus. When I take a lesson from Number one son on getting the pics from camera to computer I'l send some of the kids turning. Or if he savrd them this weekend maybe he can send them to the Creek. Thanks for the comments on the spalted collection. I have been enjoying reading on SMC for some time and now am enjoying participating.

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 9:14 PM
Nice gloat Raymond and a wonderful thing Dale did.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 2:50 AM
Nice gloat, Raymond, and I'm glad to hear your Dad's mission was working so successfully.