PDA

View Full Version : what finish to spray?

Stephen Sebed
10-02-2003, 12:59 AM
I am building a chest of drawers in my high school shop class and I would like to know what finish you all suggest. My instructor prefers Deft laquer but It always seems sort of thin and it doesn't look like it fills in the grain very much. I have always liked the look of a semi-gloss polyurethane, but I need something that I can spray on. I have noticed that Deft laquer in a gloss gives about the same shine as a semi gloss poly. Any suggestions on a finish that I can spray that will give a similiar finish as a brushed on semi gloss poly?

Thanks,
Stephen

Jason Roehl
10-02-2003, 8:15 AM
I am building a chest of drawers in my high school shop class and I would like to know what finish you all suggest. My instructor prefers Deft laquer but It always seems sort of thin and it doesn't look like it fills in the grain very much. I have always liked the look of a semi-gloss polyurethane, but I need something that I can spray on. I have noticed that Deft laquer in a gloss gives about the same shine as a semi gloss poly. Any suggestions on a finish that I can spray that will give a similiar finish as a brushed on semi gloss poly?

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen, you have many more options here than you may think. Polyurethane is quite sprayable in its various forms, but many of them need to be thinned. Personally, I'm partial to using waterborne polyurethane (one from Sherwin-Williams), as it dries quickly (cures slowly, though), which allows several coats to be put on in one day, and you're less likely to collect foreign particles in the finish. A wiped- or sprayed-on coat of shellac first really helps with a smooth final finish. You may also look into using some sort of grain filler (I never have, so I can't speak to these), then use the Deft, as lacquer is one of the most durable finishes.

Hope this helps!

(P.S. You really need to have a last name to post here as a member!!)

Phil Phelps
10-02-2003, 8:44 AM
I would imagine, Stephen, that your instructructor is using the lacquer because it drys quickly. When I was in school , there wasn't any room to isolate projects while they dried. (back in the "cave" days ) So, most all finishes were lacquer. I still prefer lacquer on most projects today. You don't say what type of wood you are using, but if it is an open grain, such as oak, you can fill the grain. You can also fill the grain with many applications of lacquer. It will take several days, though. The gloss reduction of the lacquer to semi, is caused by the atomization of the spay gun you are using. Same thing happens with oil base paint. But, because of the extended drying time of poly, it may be best to use the lacquer. It will be fine for your chest of drawers.

Lynn Sonier
10-02-2003, 8:45 AM
Stephen, it would also be nice if you filled out your user profile so we could know a little more about you.
Good luck with your project and be sure to post a pix when you get finished.

Ken Salisbury
10-02-2003, 9:35 AM
Stephen,

First of all welcome to Saw Mill Creek. As Jason mentioned: "(P.S. You really need to have a last name to post here as a member!!)"

If you will either e-mail me or send me a PM I will have your membership corrected to show your first and last name. A real first and last name is a requirement for SMC membership.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Peacock
10-02-2003, 1:07 PM
You don't say what type of wood you are using, but if it is an open grain, such as oak, you can fill the grain. You can also fill the grain with many applications of lacquer.

OK Phil.....Do Tell......What kind of wood filler would you use on Red Oak just before you would apply stain and then clear coat? I haven't seen a wood filler yet (locally) that would even come close to an expected result wood filler.........Most of what I find around here could be rated for automotive BONDO....!!! Please advise.

Dennis Peacock
10-02-2003, 1:12 PM

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen,

I have recently completed 1 chest of drawers and I have two more already cased together. Spray it with a good Sherwin-Williams Gloss Lacquer. You can ALWAYS dull a finish to a semi-gloss or even flat but you can't make a semi-gloss or flat into a gloss due to additives in the clear coat. I have used a Lacquer Sanding Sealer just before spraying the clear cloat and MAN....what a difference that makes.!!!! Once you try lacquer, you will REALLY like it because after you spray the chest with a coat, you can almost go back to where you started spraying in the beginning and start over again. A light "tack" coat at first and then back over the whole thing with a even "wet" coat works best and helps to reduce runs if you experience that.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Stephen Sebed
10-02-2003, 4:37 PM
So, the concensus seems to be that I use laquer. What Laquer is the best? I am making it out of oak with poplar drawers. What grain filler do you reccomend?

Thanks again,
Stephen

Dennis Peacock
10-03-2003, 2:44 AM
So, the concensus seems to be that I use laquer. What Laquer is the best? I am making it out of oak with poplar drawers. What grain filler do you reccomend?

Thanks again,
Stephen

Sherwin Williams makes one of the better Lacquers that you can get locally. I have used Deft from the local big box store with very good success as well. Sherwin Williams even has the "retarder" to put in the lacquer to slow the drying process slightly so that it will resist "blushing" better. Blushing is when moisture gets trapped in the top coat when it is applied by the top coat drying too fast to allow the moisture to evaporate with the top coat is "flashing off" (drying). Here where I am, if I use lacquer in the humid and hot summer time, I have to use the retarder.

I don't know about a wood filler as the reason why I asked Phil in the Big-D about which wood filler would or does he use.

Phil Phelps
10-03-2003, 8:17 PM
I don't know about a wood filler as the reason why I asked Phil in the Big-D about which wood filler would or does he use.
He has an instructor, don't he :p :p??? I remember adding a stain to a pasty wood filler a hundred years ago. Trowled it on and scraped it clean. Paint store should have it. I wouldn't do it for nuthing, though. Stephen, you are using opposites in the woods you are using. Poplar has a very tight grain and oak is wide open. You could build up the grain in the oak with several coats of clear urethane. Trouble is, it'll look like plastic. At least Dennis knows about Sherwin-Williams products. Even if he pronounces it Sherman-Williams. :D