PDA

View Full Version : Helped a friend repair his deck

Gary Herrmann
08-13-2006, 10:44 PM
A friend of mine has a deck on the back of his house thats seen better days. I went over and we replaced several railing sections and we cut the rails and spindles to size on another. Not a big deal but the previous owner didn't square anything up. Glad I brought my sliding bevel. Next time I'll bring my CSMS.

I felt bad about leaving before we finished, but SWMBO had called a couple times and reminded me of a previous engagement. My friend insisted I take a $100 Lowes card with me. He's a really good guy. After providing lunch, he felt bad about not having any beer to share.

I felt a little better after we showed his wife the completed rails, and I described how he had gang cut some of the spindles to size. I then laid out what he needed to buy so he could do this kinda thing in the future - and compared it to paying someone to do the work.

After the little tour, she looked at her handyman differently, so I felt a bit less guilty about the gift card. I'll see if he has what he needs, and if necessary go back next weekend.

Don Baer
08-13-2006, 10:48 PM
It's a lot of fun helping out a neighbor, and that what being a neighbor means.

Jerry Olexa
08-14-2006, 8:24 PM
If you're still feeling guilty about that gift card, I could take it off your your hands to make you feel better:D :) . Seriously, good job and help for a friend!!