PDA

View Full Version : Workbench 2.2 is finished

Matt Woodworth
10-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Friends,

I have finally *fully* finished my workbench. When the basic bench, version 2.0, was done I posted a gloat. Now that the under bench storage is finished I'm ready to move on to a completely different project. There are five drawers on the right side and the left side is open for larger tools.

I'll probably keep corded drills, drill press mortise attachments, etc. in the cabinet and measuring, marking, etc. in the drawers. The carcass is made from plywood with purple heart trim and the drawers are made from hard maple.

Click for my workbench page, the new pictures are toward the bottom.

http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/images/woodworking/workbench/thumbnail/DCP_1619_small.jpg (http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/projects/workbench/)

My apologies to those who saw the duplicate gloat on woodnet.

Doug Jones
10-02-2003, 5:37 AM
You mean to say this bench was done all by hand tools? If so, wow. If not still wow. It is an impressive bench. I also enjoyed the tutorial on your web site. I really like the PH accents, it kind of breaks up all the Maple. How do you like your router table, that is still on my list of to do.

Matt Woodworth
10-02-2003, 8:06 AM
You mean to say this bench was done all by hand tools? If so, wow. If not still wow. It is an impressive bench. I also enjoyed the tutorial on your web site. I really like the PH accents, it kind of breaks up all the Maple. How do you like your router table, that is still on my list of to do.

No, it wasn't all done with hand tools. I used them for a lot of the joinery, the edge work, making surfaces flat, etc. There is a lot of thick hard maple in this project. It would take somebody who's pretty hardcore to do it all with hand tools.

As for the router table, I really like it. If it's on your to-do list you might be interested in that page (http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/projects/router_table/) too. At the top there is a link a page detailing the gotchas, tips, and tricks that I found along the way.

Dave Richards
10-02-2003, 9:02 AM
Matt, that's a very nice bench you've made. I also like the barrister bookcase-style door in the left side of the cabinet. That makes a lot of sense. Good job.

Tom Scott
10-02-2003, 9:13 AM
Nice bench. You'll enjoy using that for a looong time.
Good idea to put the tool holders (mortices) behind the tool tray. I did that and it's been very convenient.

Tom

Von Bickley
10-02-2003, 2:08 PM
Matt,

Great looking work-bench and router table. I like them both but my favorite is the router table.
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Marc Hills
10-03-2003, 9:21 AM
Matt,

Lovely, just lovely. Kudo's on your website too. Looks like you finger jointed the drawers? I count five drawers. Just how many "measuring, marking, etc." tools to you have?

Keep posting your work, it inspires us all.

Best,

Bruce Page
10-03-2003, 10:05 PM
That’s just appalling !

I think you should crate that thing up pronto and ship it to me! (I’ll even pay the freight :D )

Version 3.0 can only be better, Right?

Seriously, that is a beautiful bench!