PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference--??????

Gary Max
08-13-2006, 8:56 PM
Just for the heck of it I done some looking around today at different Skews. The goal was to figure out the difference between them and why the prices where so far apart.
After looking around one just gets more confused---round---oval---square-- and then you get into the different companies who make even more skews.
What is the difference between a skew and a scraper----same shape just a different grind?????
The one thing that seems to hold true is one of the old rules of lathe tools.
-----------------------Big is Better----------------------
I have been working for awhile trying to master my skew. I have seen folks that can do anything--(just about)--with skew. I have even meet turners that would pick a skew as their number 1 turning tool.
Just a few of my little skew thoughts---where's the aspirin at.

Chris Barton
08-13-2006, 9:00 PM
Great post Gary. I am going to wait to see what others have to say before I share my opinion. But, that being said, I think you've hit on something my friend!

Jim King
08-13-2006, 9:16 PM
Gary:

I have been turning for 20 years and never bought a tool so when the new contest came up I ask if our car spring chisels as we call them are skews. I guess they are so I am going to make something for the contest this week as I have some really old wood lying around that is dry and wont have to be rough turned and dried prior to finish. The only part that me stumped was the parting tool but from face plate to donut will solve that.

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Gary I am no expert by any stretch but I watched the video that Alan Lacer put out. It is one of the most informative videos I have seen. It has helped me a lot. I use my skew almost as much as a bowl gouge or spindle gouge on the outside work because it leaves such a smooth surface. Sometimes it almost doesn't need any sanding. The one I have is to light as far as I am concerned. I got to use his skews when in Richmond at Woodcraft in May. I don't know why but I like the heft of them and after using them, I liked the feel and how they felt while turning so I just made up my mind I am going to have his two skews. I had been doing the same thing looking at dozens of those things and couldn't make up my mind. I hope more people with more experience will chime in.

Dale Johnson
08-14-2006, 12:23 AM
After switching to the Lacer skews, I quit having trouble with catches. I don't know if it is the weight, shape or grind, but they just seem to work better. I have Sorby, Woodcraft, Shopsmith and a couple others just gathering dust. Some are oval, some I did a curve on the end and some are straight. I don't think size has much to do with the turning unless you do some really fine work. Just my 2 cents.

Dick Strauss
08-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Gary,
Let me try to help...

Scraper vs Skew...

1.Presentation
-Scrapers can be presented flat to the tool rest or tilted slightly for shear scraping at roughly the center of the wood
-Skews are usually used almost vertically while riding (floating) the bevel in this mode
-Skews can be used flat to the tool rest but must contact the wood above center to peel the wood away

2. Location of Cutting
-Scrapers can be used for inside and outside wood removal
-Skews are used on outside wood only.

3. Wood Orientation
-Scapers can be used for end and side grain wood removal
-Skews are used mostly for side grain removal

4. Grind
-Scrapers usually have one bevel only
-Skews have two bevels

5. Uphill vs Downhill Grain
-Scrapers work in both directions
-Skews only work (without bad tearout) cutting downhill

6. Wood Shapes Made Using Tool
-Scrapers make straight or curved shapes
-Skews make too many shapes to mention

I'm sure I'm missing more info but it's late and my brain is a little tired...

Dick

Gary Max
08-14-2006, 6:03 AM
Dick # 4 is the one I was looking for.
I see companies selling Skew's that are ground on one surface.:confused:

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 7:19 AM
So, this is my take on the pricing issue. Bigger costs more because of material (to some degree) but, is really driven by demand. Bigger tools have more mass and tend to be easier to control on appropriately sized projects. They will be less subject to vibration as well. For making the scratch awls I posted yesterday, I used my smaller skew simply because it would fit into the size of bead I was turning. Big skews are limited by the width of the bevel and it physically cant make a bead narrower than the bevel width. An oval skew has a variable width bevel so it is possible to make more differing sizes of beads than a thick, flat skew.

Dick Strauss
08-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Gary,
I'm sorry, I guessed I missed the point of your question in my early morning level of consciousness.

Frank Fusco
08-14-2006, 1:15 PM
Dick # 4 is the one I was looking for.
I see companies selling Skew's that are ground on one surface.:confused:

I thought that was the difference between skew and scraper.
Scraper - one bevel.
Skew -two bevels.

Right? Wrong?

Gary Max
08-14-2006, 2:14 PM
That is they way I would of explainded it also. Dick I agree with what you posted. But if you look around at the different Skews that are being sold you can come up with a bunch of different grinds and shapes. I am thinking it's a marketing thing???????????

Mike Jory
08-14-2006, 2:41 PM
To Gary, & All;
I also think a scraper has a very high bevel angle because it can be held at close to ninty degrees to the surface. I hope that wasn't mentioned above. If so.. oops:o
I don't mean to highjack your post Gary but skews have me confused also.
A skew that I was given, called a Midi Skew, seems to be high quality, although small, has the cutting surface on both the top and bottom side. Is that waht everyone is refering to as two bevels?

I thought I had seen where, weather curved or sqaure, there seems to be one cutting edge. I could be getting mixed up. I might be violating my slogan below!:eek:
Mike

UPDATED; I read the answers below and saw another thread started by Jim King that helped clear this up. I'm going to watch Del Stubbs and Raffan DVD's again.

Jim Underwood
08-14-2006, 3:07 PM
The biggest difference between a scraper and a skew is the presentation and the way it cuts.

A scraper is held flat on the rest with the edge trailing. The end of the handle is generally higher than the cutting edge. Unless you have a nice burr on your scraper, you will produce more dust than nice curls. You will also have more tearout.

A skew is held with the cutting edge at a 45 degree angle to the axis of the spindle, and the handle is held lower than the cutting edge. This results in more of a slicing action, which produces curls, and, if done well, a nice finish on the work.

The scraper's cutting edge angle is quite blunt whereas the skew has quite a thin angle. If you present a scraper in the same manner as a skew you'll wear out the edge in short order.

Mike Vickery
08-14-2006, 3:51 PM
[quote=Gary Max]
What is the difference between a skew and a scraper----same shape just a different grind?????
[quote]

I would hesitantly say yes. In their most basic form they are both just rectagular stock with different edges ground on them. A skew would have a double bevel of about 30 to 40 degrees and about a 20 degree angle from the long point to the short point (these measurements are debateable but used more as general examples.)

Some skews are made from round or oval stock and I think they make it easier to present the bevel to the wood while maintaining good contact with the tool rest and are less likely to nick up your tool rest.
I have an oval 1 1/4 a rectagluar 3/4 and a homemade 1/2 inch round skew that I made for a 1/2 hss drill blank and they all work good. The 1/2 round is my favorite pen turning tool and I think the drill blank was under $7 from enco.

Bart Leetch
08-14-2006, 5:50 PM
Be vawee vawee careful Gary you could get a vawee skewed opinwin about skews. Or my names not Elmer Fudd & it's not.:D