PDA

View Full Version : To Alaskan Creekers

Warren White
08-13-2006, 8:53 PM
My wife and I just returned from a 2 week cruise/land tour through Alaska. I wanted to say to each and all Alaskans that we absolutely loved the beauty of your State and the hospitality of each person we met.

Alaskans are a very special breed of people; hardy, self-reliant, strong and proud of their home. I am so impressed with those who live, work and prosper in this great place.

We came home from Fairbanks; 20-some hours of daylight in the summer, beautiful flora, 70 degrees that rise to 90 in the summer and plummet to 60 degrees below zero in the winter's long nights. What an amazing contrast, and the people who live anywhere in Alaska are just as amazing.

Thanks for letting us share in the beauty of your State.

Ken Salisbury
08-17-2006, 3:22 AM
I have a Grandson, Clay who is a Military Policeman at Ft Greely, AK (≈40 miles from Fairbanks). He has been there for 2 years and absolutely loves the place (born outdoorsman) although the winter weather is harsh to say the least, not to mention the isolation. We might never get him back in Alabama :) :D .

larry merlau
08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
i too have been there on a two week land and fishun excursion and have got the nest excurision in the works. had the best time just chattin with a lady in the coffee shop at 4.30 am one mourning she had flew in from her homestead way down river.. the stories she shared of her and her husband had me captivated.. they actually homesteaded a place in the bush way down river. had to darlin daughters that were very well behaved. i bought them breakfast and thought i got the best end of the deal:)

Dan Oliphant
08-17-2006, 1:32 PM
I too was born and raised in Alaska, we had 160 acre homestead outside of Anchorage for about 25 years. Moved to California because it was easier to earn a living here, (dad was in construction).
My wife and I took a two week cruise (one week on ship next week inland)for our 25th anniversery. Saw more of the state than I had ever seen when I lived there. We had some extra time while in Anchorage so we went over to the BLM for the exact location of our old homestead (pre statehood filing) tuned out that is is now part of Anchorage residential properties. For anyone that knows the area, Flat top mountain was on the back side of our homestead, used a lot by the Airforce back then for training.

Barry Stratton
08-26-2006, 1:22 AM
Glad you had a good trip Warren. And trust me, you'll be back!

jonathan snyder
08-26-2006, 2:03 AM
Warren,

Glad you had a good time, hope you come back again. I have only been here 10 years, but I have seen a huge portion of the state from wrangell to Dutch Harbor to Barrow and i'll say there is no place like the Great Land. Each area of the states has its own uniqueness. My dad comes to visit almost every year, and each time he stays a little longer.

I love living in AK, but i must admit I am a bit envious when I see all the great deals you lower 48 creekers get on lumber!!

Jonathan

Bruce Benjamin
08-26-2006, 2:56 AM
I spent a year in Ak. from '83 to '84, April Fools Day to April Fools Day. I was an electronics tech. for the Coast Guard at a LORAN station in Port Clarence, Ak., which is about 70 miles north of Nome. There was about 30 of us stationed there. The station is at the end of a 12 mile spit of land about a mile wide or less with nothing but the Bearing Sea and tundra to look at. Starkly beautiful country but not the easiest place to get around on. There was a seasonal road from Nome to a village across the bay but the only way to get to Port Clarence was by airplane or walking. Aside from the isolation, I enjoyed the beauty and wildlife and springtime on the tundra is beautiful.

The Ak. natives would come from their village across the bay either by snowmobile, dog sled, or boat, (depending on if the bay was frozen or not) and visit us once or twice a week. They'd watch movies on Friday night and sell their hand crafted wares including some amazing walrus ivory carvings. Some of them would hang out with us on the beach when we had bon fires and drank to excess. We weren't supposed to give them any alcohol but they always managed to get some anyway. They had plenty of pot. They weren't allowed to drink and we weren't allowed to smoke pot. We were drug tested so they got both and we got beer. As a group, they were the most friendly and generous people I've ever met anywhere. During a few weeks of the year they would set up drying racks on the beach made of driftwood and dry their salmon and seal meat. I love salmon but the seal meat was an acquired taste I guess and the fact that all of it was swarming with flys was sort of unappetizing.

I made one trip to Anchorage half way through for a medical checkup and on the way back spent the night in Nome. That was like a town out of the old west. Very rough and if you hung out in a bar for anytime you were bound to get into a fight or walk away from one. Way too expensive for my small government paycheck but lots of fun for the first taste of civilization in 6 months. Met a girl and...Well, let's just say that for a 19 year old kid it was a very fun town! :D Then back to the station on the mail plane and 6 more months of wanting to go home.

I'd love to go back there for a week or two in the early summer and then see some of the rest of the state. I flew over a lot of it a couple of times but that didn't do it justice. I think I'd appreciate it more than ever now that I've sort of grown up and the relative solitude looks better than ever now. Some day...

Bruce

Jerry Clark
08-28-2006, 12:22 PM
I spent 5 months there in 1999 and drove to Dead Horse and everywhere there were roads. 10,000 miles. Also flew to St Paul's Island and Brooks Lodge. Loved Alaska with the unique beauty and great wildlife. The flowers are also a wonderful. You cannot see Alaska in a two week cruise/tour. Don't think I could handle the Winter.:cool:

Warren White
08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
I have enjoyed reading the responses to my post. I am glad that it triggered some pleasant memories for those of us who were visitors, and for those hardy Alaskans in the Creek, thank you for adding your welcome to each of us.

The trip has been over for a few weeks, but thanks to 150 or so pictures I took, it is almost as close as my computer.

I hope to return; and again, thanks to all for sharing your memories and thoughts of Alaska. What a place!