PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse Peppergrinder

Curt Fuller
08-13-2006, 4:43 PM
11" tall 'Lighthouse' peppergrinder. A lot of different woods, the base, joint sections, and top is walnut from a branch with about half sapwood. The 'light' part is some box elder burl. And the middle diagonal is from a grab bag box from woodcraft. I think the dark wood is wenge then there's some that looks like paduk and maybe some zebrawood (just guessing). We're going on a vacation in Sept and this is a gift for the lady that's tending our dog. She has a collection of lighthouse type things but no peppergrinder that I know of.

Kurt Rosenzweig
08-13-2006, 4:57 PM
Very nice Curt! I love the lamination of different wood! Believe it or not I started a pepper mill lighthouse today out of curly maple! I'm sure it won't compare to yours!

Glenn Clabo
08-13-2006, 5:00 PM
Oh man...that is perfect!!!! You nailed it!

Michael Stafford
08-13-2006, 5:24 PM
Outstanding Curt, just outstanding! You could make a mint if you could get these to the galleries on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Just about anything that resembles a lighthouse sells at the beach. If you could figure out a way to make them resemble the actual paint patterns by laminating stock in some way they would be worth a fortune. Either way, a cool idea and great execution!

Lars Thomas
08-13-2006, 5:26 PM
Very nice works. Kinda makes me like light houses. Lars

Corey Hallagan
08-13-2006, 5:52 PM
Excellent Curt! I love that.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 2:27 AM
Well done Curt! I had a similar idea earlier this year. My daughter is getting married this coming Sunday at Yakina Point Lighthouse in Oregon. My thought was to make one like that lighthouse. Changed my mind. My youngest son got married at the historic lighthouse at Pensacola Naval Base.?... Well done light house pepper mill Curt!

Tom Hintz
08-14-2006, 3:12 AM
Sometimes you guys can really get me PO'd!
A lighthouse peppermill? Nice going!
Now I have to go around all day kicking myself for not thinking of that!
I hate it when someone does something that AFTER I see it, is such a natural idea.
(Nice work by the way)

Keith Burns
08-14-2006, 9:41 AM
Curt, that is just perfect !! Great idea and great execution:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 12:21 PM
That is stunning Curt. Nice job.

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 8:18 PM
And there's a dolphin in the top of the burl. Very nice Curt. Great idea.

Curt Fuller
08-14-2006, 9:22 PM
Sometimes you guys can really get me PO'd!
A lighthouse peppermill? Nice going!
Now I have to go around all day kicking myself for not thinking of that!
I hate it when someone does something that AFTER I see it, is such a natural idea.
(Nice work by the way)

Thanks everyone.

I wish I could take credit for the lighthouse idea but I got it from a guy in our turning club, Bert Hamblin. I just modified it a little.
http://www.pepper-mills-plus.com/peppermills4.html
If you look at his website you can see a couple examples of lighthouses and some other really nice ones.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 2:51 AM
Curt, that's a lovely piece of work. Your dogsitter is going to absolutely flip when she receives it!

Barry Stratton
08-15-2006, 2:52 AM
That is sweeeeet. Great job Curt!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Super, Curt. (Thanks for the plug, too:p )

Bruce;)

Travis White
08-15-2006, 4:41 PM
That is very nice, I'm shure she will like it.