PDA

View Full Version : Which grooving bit to use for small box?

Sonny Porter
08-13-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm using a thin kerf blade on my table saw and do and want to make several small boxes. I don't want to spend time changing blades as I work on this along with other projects. I'm looking for ways to make a 1/8" groove for insetting the box bottom. Would using a router bit to do this be a good thing? I've seen some projects where people used a winged bit in a router table and ran it around the inside of the assembled four sides. Is this a good method?

There are probably several good ways to make this groove. And maybe better ways to make a sturdy box. These boxes will be small, about the size of shoe boxes, but will hold metal tools and parts. It's a heavier load than jewelry (in one case, about 20 large bolts), that's why I'm thinking that setting it into a groove is a better idea. I'd be interested in hearing about other ways to go too.

The boxes will have lids with external hinges. I usually glue it all up and then saw the lid off after it's dried a couple of days so I get a good fit with minimal sanding.

Michael Stafford
08-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Sonny, I am not quite sure if I understand what you want to do.

For simplicity's sake using a rip blade with a 1/8" kerf set to the depth you want the 1/8" stock to be inset into the sides and ends of your box is by far the easier way to do it. You would just be cutting a 1/8" groove with the blade.

You can also do it with a 1/8" straight bit on the router table or with a 1/8" winged slotting bit on the router table.

My choice would be to just do it with the 1/8" kerf rip blade.

Tom Andersen
08-13-2006, 2:03 PM
Sonny, I believe that I have the same problem, but we could use a sketch to understand the details of your question?

Dick Bringhurst
08-13-2006, 2:14 PM
A 1/8 th slot cutter in your router table will do the job. The depth of the slot would be controlled by the setting of the fence. Dick B.

Brian Gumpper
08-13-2006, 6:41 PM
A 1/8 th slot cutter in your router table will do the job. The depth of the slot would be controlled by the setting of the fence. Dick B.

What Dick said. A 1/8" straight bit would work too but more prone to breakage. Nice thing about the 3 wing slot cutters is one you buy the arbor, you can buy different size cutters for different projects like the 5/32" for biscuits if you need it.

Sonny Porter
08-13-2006, 7:32 PM
Slot cutter - that's the tool I saw used this way in one of those "Tips" boxes in some magazine article. Any particular requirements? I just bought a three flute trimmer bit. More wings mean smoother cut with the slot cutter?

I like the thin kerf table saw blade so I guess I should Whiteside this bit, it will see a lot of use.

THANKS!

glenn bradley
08-13-2006, 8:10 PM
1/8" Amana solid carbide upcut bit in your RT, $20. Take it slow, I would imagine they're a little delicate. I have such a bit for much the same reason you discuss. Changing a TS blade is not a big deal but, I got tired of it on a recent project so I thought I'd try the router bit next time. No experience yet. I hope as I get some more work under my belt, I'll learn to do similar tasks in a bunch and minimize my setup changes. At this point I'm still figuring it out as I go. But, that's part of the fun.