PDA

View Full Version : Pens

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2006, 9:51 AM
Well turned some pens yesterday. In the first picture the first pen is Koa from Dave Smith, the second pen and pencil set is Holly from Dave Smith and the third is Red Keyaki from Stu. The second picture is English walnut from Dave Smith. All finish with EEE, Huts and waxed.

Corey Hallagan
08-13-2006, 9:59 AM
Great looking pens there Bernie! That Koa is my favorite and the holly looks cool.... heck they all look great. I like the shape you put on the first 3.

Corey

Chris Barton
08-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Well turned some pens yesterday. In the first picture the first pen is Koa from Dave Smith, the second pen and pencil set is Holly from Dave Smith and the third is Red Keyaki from Stu. The second picture is English walnut from Dave Smith. All finish with EEE, Huts and waxed.

Nice pens Bernie! And you know of course that if they were turned with a skew they would be elidgible for the

LORD OF THE SKEW

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2006, 10:51 AM
That is all I use on pens Chris. I am taking a serious look at both of Alan Lacers skews. Don't see the need for anything else especially when you don't have to do much sanding. Most times with the skew I start at maybe 220 or 320. If I can get some better pictures I will probably enter them unless I come up with something else. Thanks for the comments.

Bob Noles
08-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Another set of GREAT pens Bernie. You are the skew master for sure :)

I may have to re-visit that Hut stuff again. I did not have as good results with it the first time around, but after seeing yours...... well :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks again for the comments. Yea Bob those are done with Huts with 3 coats. The first bottle I got just didn't seem to work well. When at Woodcraft they threw a bottle in when I bought about $200 worth of stuff after I complained. This bottle worked real well.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 2:18 AM
Nice pens Bernie! I may be calling you soon. I've got everything I need to turn pens but a drill vice. It's on its way...should be here Monday or Tuesday. Again....nice pens!

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Ken I just use my drill press vice with a precision square to make sure the blank is at 90 degrees. Works good for me.

Keith Burns
08-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Great pens Bernie. I too like the shape of the first three.:) :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-14-2006, 2:04 PM
Nice job Bernie. Lookin' good to me!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 9:04 PM
Nice pens Bernie.

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Barry Stratton
08-15-2006, 2:46 AM
Beauties Bernie! I like those pen and pencil sets!

By drill vice are yo and Ken talking about something to hold the blanks for drilling??? I whipped up a solid one with scrap plywood, a small hinge, and 15 minutes....works great. Saw something like it in a book at the library...... I have no original thoughts myself, just steal others.....Let me know if you need a pic....

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 3:11 AM
Lovely pieces, Bernie.

Dave Smith
08-15-2006, 4:33 PM
Nice use of packing material. Pen blanks are much cheaper than plastic peanuts for filling voids in packages.

Isn't holly nice to turn? It is my favorite wood to turn.

Keep up the good work young man.

Dave Smith

Turning boxes today in Longview, WA.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey Bernie, they look great, but #3, well that is a real beauty ;) :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks Stu. Those will stay with me. Kinda special ya know. I finally got some time to do some pens and pencil sets.

Bart Leetch
08-16-2006, 1:13 AM
Great lookin pens Bernie how about slowing down a little I letting me catch up. I am gradually putting an order together to start making my first pens. It'll be a while yet.

As for you Chris Exskew you too!!!!:D :D :D

Tom Sherman
08-17-2006, 3:57 PM
Great looking pens Bernie have kinda got behind with my posts lately been a lot going on around here that keeps me out of the shop and off the computer.