PDA

View Full Version : Why does a car scrape the driveway entrance??

Bob Weisner
08-13-2006, 9:49 AM
Hi:

Got a question about a car.

When pulling into a driveway, why does a car scrape the drveway when you are turning into the driveway? Everytime I turn into a driveway that is a little elevated, the back end of the car scrapes the concrete or blacktop road surface. I had to replace a leaking fuel line because of this. The mechanic said they fixed the problem, but the car still scrapes the concrete when going into a driveway that is elevated , even slightly.

Jim Becker
08-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Because the angle between the driveway and road causes you to bottom out when the front wheels get to a certain point on the slope...as determined by your wheel base and vehicle length. This is more likely to happen with a longer vehicle than a shorter one, depending on the actual angle.

Bart Leetch
08-13-2006, 11:05 AM
:D sounds like the driveway is to high or the car is to low or both. Actually Jim gave you the right answer. Maybe some air shock would help just add air enough to raise the back of the car 1/2" or maybe a little more.:D

Curt Fuller
08-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Try hitting the driveway at a little more of an angle instead of straight on. If that doesn't work, go to your local race shop and see if they can fit your car with a "Wheelie Bar".

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.robinson-race-cars.co.uk/Peter%2520Wacker%2520wheelie%2520webpic%25202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.robinson-race-cars.co.uk/Wacker.htm&h=391&w=600&sz=60&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=WmoemgZvwv2DYM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwheelie%2Bbar%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3D

Ken Salisbury
08-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Make sure any fat passengers are sitting in the front seat.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif

Frank Hagan
08-13-2006, 1:46 PM
Hi:

When pulling into a driveway, why does a car scrape the drveway when you are turning into the driveway? Everytime I turn into a driveway that is a little elevated, the back end of the car scrapes the concrete or blacktop road surface. I had to replace a leaking fuel line because of this. The mechanic said they fixed the problem, but the car still scrapes the concrete when going into a driveway that is elevated , even slightly.

On our driveways here, there is an apron to the street that is sloped, then a 4' wide flat area that is also the sidewalk, then the driveway resumes the slope. If that's the case, then look at Jim's explanation.

I have a similar situation pulling my boat out of my driveway. It is a pretty good slope, and if I'm on too acute an angle, one tire is still on the sidewalk while the other is down the apron quite a ways, and I come very close to scraping. I'll bet my Prius would scrape at that angle because it is low to the ground.

So you might try hitting the driveway at less of an angle, so both front tires "attack" the slope at the same time.

Rob Littleton
08-13-2006, 2:37 PM
I've seen "heavy duty" casters on the back of motor homes to stop this kind of thing happening to them.

If you know an RV place local to you, talk to them. These small casters can be screwed on underneath the vehicle and are pretty low profile.

I'm thinking about putting one on my tow hitch as I sometimes scrapes the sidewalk.

Good luck

Chuck Wintle
08-13-2006, 3:49 PM
Hi:

you could install an after market lift kit that can raise or lower the car. This way when you back out you put the car in its highest position thus ensuring adequate clearance.:D just a thought

Kyle Kraft
08-15-2006, 7:34 AM
Yup, it's the whole angle of approach, angle of departure thing. Check the technical specs of your vehicle for these. It is basically the degree measure of the slope where the tire tangent point and the nearest part create a line.

Joe Pelonio
08-15-2006, 8:09 AM
As Jim says, longer vehicle is worse. Going home one day I passed by where a moving van tried to go up a driveway, and bottomed out. The bottom of the trailer was on the ground and the rear wheels were in the air. Oh, and blocked a lane of traffic. If you have that problem often you must be in an area with a lot of homes on sloped driveways, and/or a car that sits low and is long between axles.

Phil Phelps
08-15-2006, 8:53 AM
Any car will bottom out if the angle is too acute. However, is your car supported by air suspension? They could be shot. I know Lincolns are notorious, and depending on the car, several other issues are involved. I just replaced the "ride", air shocks, springs, computer #%@*, and it doesn't bottom out anymore on our driveway. Rides like a new car. Don't even bring up what it cost. I'm still sitting on a cushioned devise.

Robert Mickley
08-15-2006, 9:20 AM
Actually going into an elevated driveway, its not the length of the car, its the ammount of overhang on the front or rear thats the problem.

The more over hang you have the less of an angle you can attack.

If you where coming off of the street onto a downward angle then the wheel base would come into play as you could high center it.

My solution,
Cut the back of the car off :D

Andy Hoyt
08-15-2006, 9:24 AM
Your car and driveway are highly defective.

Sell both.

Allan Johanson
08-15-2006, 12:31 PM
but the car still scrapes the concrete when going into a driveway that is elevated , even slightly.
Is it the car rear bumper area or is it the mud flaps? Your "even slightly" comment made me think of mud flaps extending down too low.

Get someone to stand outside the car and have a look under it while you are going up the driveway. That'll tell you in no time what's going on.

Cheers,

Allan