PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for shop?

Charles Wilson
08-13-2006, 9:03 AM
In the near future, I am going to be adding some new machinery to the shop. I currently have several Bosch power tools (drill, jig saw, ROS, radio) and some PC tools (CS and Plate Jointer) and a 10" HF Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I have been very please so far with my choices. As of now, instead of a TS I currently use the EZ system and have been pleased. It is accurate, portable, and there is no chipping.

I am still usure of where I am going to be working permanently - garage or basement. Each has perks so maybe I'll use both. (I can include pics if you would like to help make a decision.)

Anyhow, I am looking at Grizzly tools and am interested in a BS or a DP. I am not in a production shop (and don't intend of becoming one) but would like to buy the tools and keep them without really having to upgrade.

As far as the DP, I am looking in the $300 -$500 range. I am not sure of appropriate considerations such as HP and size.

As far as the BS, I am looking at the 14" Ultimate BS. What are some other considerations that I need to look into?

Regards,

Chuck

Bruce Wrenn
08-13-2006, 11:21 PM
For the drill press, I would check local Craigslist. Here recently there has been a Craftsman (older American made and a Delta 16") for $175. Both were in good shape. Seldom does anything go wrong with a drill press. Biggest improvement is to add keyless chuck from ENCO.

Allen Bookout
08-13-2006, 11:29 PM
I agree with Bruce. If you can find a good used drill press for a good price that would probably be the best deal. Lacking that option, I found that the best drill press (most for the money) in that price range was the Delta 17-965.

Seth Poorman
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Dont forget another improvment on the DP could be a mortising attachment.....:D