PDA

View Full Version : Curly Koa Pen (Thanks Dennis!)

Vaughn McMillan
08-13-2006, 3:03 AM
Dennis Peacock sent me a message recently asking if I'd like some of his spare pen blanks. Sure, says I. He mentioned that it was some cherry and walnut and some other "eye candy" (his words).

Shortly thereafter, a box o' blanks arrived with a variety of woods (and one acrylic blank that's already been made into a pen and scarfed up by LOML). Among the blanks was a piece of curly koa, and here are the results. It's the Berea titanium gold American Flat Top (via Arizona Silhouette), sanded down to MM 12,000, then finished with about 7 or 8 coats of lacquer, more MM, then buffed. These pics don't even begin to do justice to the wood. The curl looks to be about 3 feet deep...it's awesome. (Thanks, Dennis.)

And another shot...

(I'm having fits with the autofocus on my camera...can you tell?)

She doesn't know it yet, but my oldest sister is getting this pen for her birthday in a couple weeks.

Anyway, thanks again Dennis, and I'm open as always to everyone's honest opinions and suggestions. And whether you like it or not, there'll be more pics as I use some of the other "eye candy" (my words) in the box. ;) :p

- Vaughn

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2006, 9:43 AM
Vaughn that is a great looking pen. I like that Koa. I just turned one and it is nice to turn. Nice job.

Travis White
08-13-2006, 9:45 AM
Great work, it looks very nice.

Corey Hallagan
08-13-2006, 9:55 AM
Vaughn that is one good looking pen! Beautiful wood and finish. Still my favorite style of pen, however, dont get a pencil.... they really suck! Great job Vaughn!

Corey

Barry Stratton
08-13-2006, 1:10 PM
BEAUTY Vaughn! Your pens ae top notch.

Glad to hear you got the Peacock wood treatment....what a guy!

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2006, 2:34 PM
Wow Vaughn....that turned out very pretty!!!! :D I wonder how the acrylic pen came out? Pic? :rolleyes:

You're very welcome on the wood Vaughn. Glad to share with ya. Just ask Barry. ;)

Sparky Paessler
08-13-2006, 4:27 PM
Good looking pen you have there. Curly Koa is my favorite wood to make pens out of.

Sparky