PDA

View Full Version : Olive Bowl Attempt

Vaughn McMillan
08-13-2006, 2:51 AM
This is my first "full size" bowl, and my second bowl at all, so there are plenty of things to improve on the next one. This started as some curbside tree trimmings I picked up last year. It's a pretty piece of wood, but I previously posted pics of the initial roughing, because I was concerned about the cracks. Here's the blank:

Several people said to toss it in the woodpile, but several others convinced me to try finishing it. It was good practice, even though it's not even good enough to give away. Here is the finished product (albeit cracked), about 2 1/2" tall by 7 1/4" wide...

And again...

And one more time for the balcony...

Since it was cracked, I didn't make the walls as thin as I'd have liked. I also didn't go to heroic efforts to put a great finish on it. It's just sanded to 400 grit, then friction polished with Myland's. As I said, this one's got lots of room for improvement, so I'll try to get better with the next one. I have another (cracked) olive bowl drying, then it's time to break into the recent eucalyptus haul.

Your comments and brutally honest critiques are always welcome. (I really need a better camera, and a photo booth.)

- Vaughn

George Conklin
08-13-2006, 9:45 AM
Why would they say " throw it in the wood pile?" Looks just fine to me, Vaughn.

Now, go turn number 2!

"Who does Number Two work for?"

Sorry:o

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2006, 9:47 AM
Vaughn that is a beauty. I like the form and finish on it. You did a nice job. Keep'em coming.

Corey Hallagan
08-13-2006, 9:53 AM
I like it just fine Vaughn... dont be so hard on your self. It's a very pretty bowl!

Corey

Jim Becker
08-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Vaughn, I really like this piece...it's a very pleasant form. I do suspect from the pictures that you may have a pretty "thick" bottom (inside contour different than the outside), but that is something that will come with time. Further, since you're new to this, your form with it's in-turned rim is actually a pretty difficult project...and you did very nice!! More!

Andy Hoyt
08-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Looks like you did pretty good, Vaughn.

Too bad the wood didn't live up its end of the bargain.

I'm glad you persevered, too.

Well done.

Keith Burns
08-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Vaughn, the form is very nice, which to me is one of the most important thing. Like Jim said the other refinements will come with time. Keep it up:) :)

Glenn Hodges
08-13-2006, 11:10 AM
You did a fine job with it. I suspect the reason they sugested you throw it in the woodpile was they would come back at night and get it.

Curt Fuller
08-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Nice looking bowl Vaughn. Those cracks are just part of the nature of wood. There are really only two kinds of wood, wood that's cracked and wood that's going to crack.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Vaughn........Nice bowl! That's some gorgeous wood! I like that form.

Vaughn McMillan
08-13-2006, 2:18 PM
Thanks for the comments and compliments.

Curt, your example of the two kinds of wood is similar to the three rules of concrete that I learned long ago:

1. It's gray
2. It gets hard
3. It cracks

Jim, the bottom is about 3/8" thick at the center, which is about the thickness at the rim, but I understand what you mean about not following the outside contour on the inside. The walls get fatter towards the bottom, because I was chickening out. (Maybe it's also time to find a real bowl gouge instead of using the gouges that came with my Harbor Freight chisel set.)

Thanks again guys -

- Vaughn