PDA

View Full Version : Acacia

Myrel Willeford
08-13-2006, 2:03 AM
Hi all, I have been lurking for a few days and finaly decided to join, Thought I would say hi. while I was at work today my wife had someone cut down our 30' acacia tree they left all the large pieces for me. How does acacia turn? what is they best way to store it cut it into blanks and seal it or leave it in large logs and seal the ends?

Looks like there are a lot of nice people here having a lot of fun.

Vaughn McMillan
08-13-2006, 4:34 AM
Hi all, I have been lurking for a few days and finaly decided to join, Thought I would say hi. while I was at work today my wife had someone cut down our 30' acacia tree they left all the large pieces for me. How does acacia turn? what is they best way to store it cut it into blanks and seal it or leave it in large logs and seal the ends?

Looks like there are a lot of nice people here having a lot of fun.
Welcome to the Creek, Myrel. Sorry I can't offer advice on the acacia wood, but I'm sure others here will have plenty.

You may have not noticed in your few days of lurking, but we like pictures. ;) Feel free to post some pics of your work (or even of your newfound wood.)

- Vaughn

Frank Fusco
08-13-2006, 8:19 AM
I have done only one turning from acacia, a pen. The blanks I bought were offered in light and dark. The one I turned was dark, not unlike african blackwood. It was very hard, e.g. rose/ironwood but turned fine. I didn't put any finish on it other than some Johnsons paste wax. The light blanks I have do not resemble the dark in any way, making me wonder if it is a different tree or simply sap wood. To confuse matters, the suppliers say that the light is much more plentiful than dark which would eliminate the sapwood theory.

Dario Octaviano
08-13-2006, 9:00 AM
Acacia is very general...so the answer will depend on what you got.

Koa btw is also acacia.

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2006, 9:45 AM
Welcome to Creek Myrel. Depends on the acacia. I have turn some including Koa and acacia willow. They are a pretty hard wood but both turned nice.

Myrel Willeford
08-13-2006, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome,

This is the mess I came home to I think it is a silver Acacia it has a dark pith and lighter sapwood. I will try to attach a photo. The pith is already starting to crack think I will cut it out and seal it.

Thanks

Myrel Willeford
08-13-2006, 1:58 PM
The first is found wood spalted avacado?

Second is also found wood

Third is a bowl from scrap wood

John Miliunas
08-13-2006, 5:14 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Myrel! :) Don't know the first thing about Acacia but, looks to me like you'll have little problem with making something nice out of it! :) I really like all the sample work you've shown but, that little weed pot is very neat! Well done and don't forget to show off a little more when you have the chance! :) :cool:

Myrel Willeford
08-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks for he welcome,:) My wife likes it too.:D Well I cut up the acacia into blanks and sealed them, now I need to find time to turn some.

Keith Burns
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the Creek Myrel:) :) Glad to see you got the memo about posting pics:D Great sample of work, looking forward to more.:) :)

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 8:28 PM
Welcome Myrel. Don't have any answers for you about that wood. Nice forms on your turnings. Keep them coming.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 8:35 PM
Welcome to the Creek Myrel! Neat place to exchange information!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-15-2006, 2:46 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Myrel!

As for your acacia---I haven't turned any, however at the very least you should seal the ends of the logs. Unless you deliberately want to spalt them, you should put them in an environment where they'll be sheltered from the elements, and can have good airflow. Were it me, I'd cut them into blanks as soon as possible, then seal the blanks.

Good luck!