PDA

View Full Version : Sequence of replies in a thread?

glenn bradley
08-13-2006, 12:23 AM
I have noticed several incidents where I will be the first or fifth or whatever ordered person to respond to a thread (replying directly to the post-er); later in the day there will be several responses between mine and the point where I thought I replied.

I understand the tree mechanism in general but, maybe I am doing something wrong(?).

Randy Meijer
08-13-2006, 3:09 AM
I think this has to do with multiple posts being composed at the same time. If you start a post after several others; but finish it first, yours will be the first to show up. But as other posts are completed, they will "bump" yours down the "tree" if they have an earlier starting time. At least, I think this is the way it works. :confused: :confused: Anyone correct me if I am mistaken.

Jason Roehl
08-13-2006, 7:44 AM
Sorry, Randy, but that's not it. It has to do with Glenn's forum settings. There are several options for how one can view a thread, some of which are not chronological, but are based on replies to a particlar post--like the hierarchal systems you see on text-based forums.

On edit: I had to go look since it had been quite a while, but your choices are: linear, hybrid and threaded. You can click on the "Display Modes" button in the upper right corner of the thread to change your view.

Randy Meijer
08-14-2006, 3:48 AM
Thanks, Jason!!