PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new tablesaw blade!

Gene Collison
10-01-2003, 7:49 PM
I've needed a new rip blade for a while now, decided to try the new Freud 30 tooth glue line rip on sale at Rockler. This is a full 1/8" kerf blade with a measured .112 plate, that means the plate is almost as thick as the teeth. No stabilizers required! The teeth are triple chip ground (TCG). The side of the blade reads excellent for ripping and fair for all other cuts. I mounted on the saw and first ripped some red oak, the cut was actually polished with no saw marks whatsoever, really clean, no burn. I decided to try it on crosscut even though it was only supposed to be "fair". The first cut was good enough to make it worthy of leaving on the saw permanently, on red oak again. Not quite as good as a Forrest but satisfyingly good nonetheless. Same thing on baltic birch, a little fuzzy edge but overall a very good cut. This blade gives a nice quiet cut besides. I see Amazon toolcrib has the non teflon coated version for $39.95, a super buy. This is of course after I paid $59.95 at Rockler for the teflon version.

Gene

Doug Jones
10-01-2003, 9:18 PM
Gene,
Thanks for the review. I've been curious about this blade and now I no long have to wonder.

Doug

Lee Schierer
10-02-2003, 8:27 AM
I've used Freud blades for years and am very satisfied. My 24 tooth thin kerf gives the same type of cutting result you observed. They are excellent blades and the prices are very reasonable. Their router bits give similar performance.

Richard McComas
10-02-2003, 4:54 PM
I've needed a new rip blade for a while now, decided to try the new Freud 30 tooth glue line rip on sale at Rockler. This is a full 1/8" kerf blade with a measured .112 plate, that means the plate is almost as thick as the teeth. No stabilizers required! The teeth are triple chip ground (TCG). The side of the blade reads excellent for ripping and fair for all other cuts. I mounted on the saw and first ripped some red oak, the cut was actually polished with no saw marks whatsoever, really clean, no burn. I decided to try it on crosscut even though it was only supposed to be "fair". The first cut was good enough to make it worthy of leaving on the saw permanently, on red oak again. Not quite as good as a Forrest but satisfyingly good nonetheless. Same thing on baltic birch, a little fuzzy edge but overall a very good cut. This blade gives a nice quiet cut besides. I see Amazon tool has the non teflon coated version for $39.95, a super buy. This is of course after I paid $59.95 at Rockler for the teflon version.

Gene

Could you post the part # for that blade please. I believe the number is right on the blade.

Gene Collison
10-02-2003, 7:04 PM
Could you post the part # for that blade please. I believe the number is right on the blade.

Rich,

The part number is LM74RO10, this is for the teflon coated version.

gene

Gene Collison
10-02-2003, 9:51 PM
I've used Freud blades for years and am very satisfied. My 24 tooth thin kerf gives the same type of cutting result you observed. They are excellent blades and the prices are very reasonable. Their router bits give similar performance.

Lee,

Do you use any other Freud blades that you really like? I have a Freud 60 tooth blade on my sliding miter that is excellent for the price, it is a Diablo but is still excellent. I think I paid about $38.00 for it.

Gene

Jim Brewer
01-06-2004, 9:06 AM
Rich,

The part number is LM74RO10, this is for the teflon coated version.

gene

Thank to everyone for the great reviews on the Glue Line Rip Blade. One small correction in the item number, it is actually LM74R010. Zeros and Uppercase "O" casue some problems with searches, although, Gene, I am impressed that someone actually knows the item number of a blade.

Jim Brewer
Freud

Lee Schierer
01-06-2004, 9:33 AM
Lee,

Do you use any other Freud blades that you really like? I have a Freud 60 tooth blade on my sliding miter that is excellent for the price, it is a Diablo but is still excellent. I think I paid about $38.00 for it.

Gene

I also have a LU85 Fine Finsih Crosscut blade which is excellnt for fine cross cuts like miter cuts for picture frames. Sorry, the model number for my 60 tooth blades are worn off.

Kent Cori
01-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Folks,

It was intersting to me to see your thoughts on the Freud LM74R010. I also just bought one of these blades but was less than impressed with the cuts it made. They show definite saw marks that my Forrest WWII does not on the same well adjusted saw. Based on your comments, I am begininng to wonder if I have a bad indvidual blade.

Mark Singer
01-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Gene,
I started using a new blade that is the equal to a Forrest WWII @ 1/2 price! It is the Dewalt DW7657.
Rips, veneer ply , crosscuts...great results! I have tried most of them...this one is a winner.
Mark

Gene Collison
01-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Gene,
I started using a new blade that is the equal to a Forrest WWII @ 1/2 price! It is the Dewalt DW7657.
Rips, veneer ply , crosscuts...great results! I have tried most of them...this one is a winner.
Mark

Mark,

I have a Dewalt 7623 40t Series 60 which may be the forerunner of the blade you have. It is also very good, the Series 60 blades are really well made. About Forrest around here SHHHHHHHHH!! LOL...
The CMT General is another blade I like but only in standard kerf. Incidently, have you found a decent sharpener in OC area? Anybody else?

Gene

Mark Singer
01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
On sharpenning...I have so many blades I haven't done it in a while. But,
Austin has a service and I think their decent because so many of the guys are aware of good sharpening
Mark