PDA

View Full Version : How I spent Saturday at the lathe......

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2006, 9:33 PM
My only daughter is getting remarried. She's kind of special to her Dad and I really like her soon-to-be husband so...........I tried to find some dry cherry locally.........None....................So......I had some pieces a friend and fellow Creeker sent me. So........I took one 12" by 12/4 piece, rough turned it and DNAd it.........Another piece 12" by 12x4....I nuked it using the defrost cycle. Every evening when I came home I'd nuke and then let it cool....nuke it and then let it cool.....

My daughter's wedding is 1 week from tomorrow. So...this morning I took the nuked piece and turned this...............

And I'd made arrangements for a local engraver to engrave the date and my daughter's and future son-in-law's names on it.....This is how it was supposed to look without the engraving........

This is how it looks after I put too much tension on it while frictioning the BLO.........

No problem....The DNA'd one was sitting there in the shop.........Well I now have a matched pair.......at least, I didn't have as much time involved in it.......Spokane, WA has a place...I called...they are open Sundays....I'll be there!....

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2006, 9:38 PM
And yes Dennis...................I did say bad words! And...........if you step outside your shop......face the N/W........that big dark blue cloud.....ain't NO cloud.....that's blue smoke eminating from the windows in my shop.....nothing on fire but I'm burned up!

Corey Hallagan
08-12-2006, 9:39 PM
Oh man... that sucks! Well at least you didn't break the goblet part! You got lots of practice now you can make it extra pretty! Can't wait to see the final one! Maybe just use some wipeon poly to finish it? It has oil in it and will pop the grain just fine.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2006, 9:43 PM
Boy that is a bummer. Hope you get some wood and get one turned. I have to ask Ken were you supporting both ends or just the one? Curious cause I did the same thing on a Goblet. Ken I thought those were rain clouds coming our way. What a bummer just smoke huh!

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 9:49 PM
And yes Dennis...................I did say bad words! And...........if you step outside your shop......face the N/W........that big dark blue cloud.....ain't NO cloud.....that's blue smoke eminating from the windows in my shop.....nothing on fire but I'm burned up!

OUCH Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know...I had high hopes for ya that this would work perfectly on the 1st attempt. I've snapped a few that way before. Lessons learned like that Ken are tough on one's confidence (at least it is on mine.).....

Git-R-Done Ken!!!!!!

Forrest Price
08-12-2006, 9:54 PM
So THAT'S what that sound was!:eek:

Geez Ken, that lathe has been a little rough on you lately!!

Try a chunk of that Apricot.

Forrest

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 9:59 PM
So THAT'S what that sound was!:eek:

Geez Ken, that lathe has been a little rough on you lately!!

Try a chunk of that Apricot.

Forrest

Hey Forrest.....You better go over and help Ken get that thang done. He may need a little "guidance" along the way. :p :D

Ron Jones near Indy
08-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Wow Ken--I heard you clear back here in Indiana!;) I first thought it was some Cup cars testing at the Speedway. No, that was last week. They won't be back till next year. Keep your cool. You'll get it next time!:)

Doug Jones
08-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Wow Ken--I heard you clear back here in Indiana! So thats what that sound was, I was out doing a quick 30 mile bike ride and felt the ground shake.

Dude, been there done that. Sorry it happened to you.

Andy Hoyt
08-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Well it finally made it all the way to the top right corner, but I didn't hear any cussing. But sure sounded an awful lot like that guy who used to sing about tiptoing through two lips. It's 52° here right now and I guess the temp has affected the sound quality. And I further guess that by the time it hits Ian Barley in Great Britain it'll sound kinda like Barney the dinosaur.

Scott Donley
08-13-2006, 1:45 AM
Man, that hurts :( Ain't turning fun :rolleyes:

Bart Leetch
08-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I was a little confused :confused: there for a while heard a great big old thunder clap I looked out expecting rain nothin but a big old cloud on the eastern horizon. Well at least next time I'll know what it is.:eek: :D :eek:

Ben Werner
08-14-2006, 1:10 PM
Man that sucks! live and learn...:D;)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 1:43 PM
Well,

I bought some tigerwood and some cherry in Spokane yesterday. Boy was that stuff expensive!

Late last night I finished turned a new stem for that goblet out of tigerwood. What a beautiful wood! Gorgeous grain and color. I've got it on the lathe frictioning on some shellac. Much more character in this wood than the cherry ever had! I'll post pictures after it's completed.

Thanks for letting me whine...lament etc!

Have to get the goblet to the engraver now.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-14-2006, 1:56 PM
Ken, I was sorry to hear about your mishap, but I'm glad it gave you the opportunity to find an excuse to use an exotic. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2006, 8:42 PM
Ken... HUGE mistake. If you've learned anything here it's... If there are no pictures, it did not happen. See, you could have gone out this morning and found two blanks ready to go, but nooooo you just had to take pictures.:p

I'm really sorry this happened, but could not resist.:o

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 9:11 PM
Actually Ernie...the photos were taken after it broke. The break was such that it would hold itself upright as in the first photo. After that my thumb and forefinger were required.

I turned a tigerwood stem. I'm going out to cut it loose as soon as I finish this. Then maybe......I'll post some photos......this new one.....it's not a Curt Fuller.....but I won't be ashamed of it....providing I can get it parted off successfully.