PDA

View Full Version : ? on HF

Larry Crim
08-12-2006, 9:24 PM
Ok
I have seen several hollow forms Posted here and they are awesome and some of the most beautiful work I have seen but what is a HF used for other than the obvious artsy display is there a common use for HF's like dried flowers or something simular. Please do not take this wrong I think the HF's I have seen here are some of the most brautiful things to come off a lathe but just wondering if there was a common use for them.
if you have a unique use for them please post a pic
Thanks
Larry

Jim Becker
08-12-2006, 9:46 PM
Hollow forms for me are largely art pieces, but they can certainly be used for dried flower arrangements, etc., if you are so inclined. Remember, "useful" includes being pleasant to look at!

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 9:58 PM
Larry,

HF's are more artsy than anything. Some folks love them while others just simply want a utilitarian type bowl for the dinner table. HF's are another wood "turning" that allows the woodturner another avenue to create and display a different form of wood beauty that is pleasing to both the hands and the eyes.

Besides that? It's a real challenge to do and do it "right" for form, shape, wall thickness, and finish.

At least that my 2¢ on the topic. :D

Michael Stafford
08-13-2006, 6:24 AM
They are dust collectors!

On another forum, I know shame on me, I was asked if my boxes were good for anything or were they just dust collectors. I responded that obviously they could be opened and used to store baby teeth, precious gems, a piece of jewelry or maybe a lover's eyelash but their real intended use was to collect dust. Hollow forms also collect dust but they do it so beautifully. Every day or so I take a dust cloth to my small collection of hollow forms and polish them and give them some of the love and patina they deserve. A beautiful object needs no other reason for existing just like a little girl....

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2006, 7:27 AM

On another forum, I know shame on me, I was asked if my boxes were good for anything or were they just dust collectors. I responded that obviously they could be opened and used to store baby teeth, precious gems, a piece of jewelry or maybe a lover's eyelash but their real intended use was to collect dust. Hollow forms also collect dust but they do it so beautifully. Every day or so I take a dust cloth to my small collection of hollow forms and polish them and give them some of the love and patina they deserve. A beautiful object needs no other reason for existing just like a little girl....

Oooo-Weee! You got that right as well BM.....You musta ate your wheaties this mornin'. Dust collectors.....does this mean that if you have enough of them that you could use them to clean the shop? :p :D

Gary Max
08-13-2006, 7:31 AM
I would also add that they show off the workmanship of the turner and the beauty of the wood.

George Conklin
08-13-2006, 9:40 AM

or maybe a lover's eyelash .

Your wife find's out you're saving your lovers eyelashes, you'll really be in for it:eek: .

;) :)

Curt Fuller
08-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Besides that? It's a real challenge to do and do it "right" for form, shape, wall thickness, and finish.

I think Dennis nailed it with that line, at least from a woodturner's perspective. They are awfully pretty to look at though.

Larry Crim
08-14-2006, 9:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I really am in awe of all the HF that come out of this forum they are stunning and will like to try my hand at it sooner or later but the wife asked me when we were looking at some of them here if there was a use for them other than the obvious art value and I really didn't have a answer for her, it really never occured to me that there would be a common use for them other than the obvious presentation of the work. But now I know I can have a place to keep all her eyelashes I've been saving. She liked that by the way thought it was very romantic.
Thanks Larry

Peter Dougenik
08-14-2006, 9:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I really am in awe of all the HF that come out of this forum they are stunning and will like to try my hand at it sooner or later but the wife asked me when we were looking at some of them here if there was a use for them other than the obvious art value and I really didn't have a answer for her, it really never occured to me that there would be a common use for them other than the obvious presentation of the work. But now I know I can have a place to keep all her eyelashes I've been saving. She liked that by the way thought it was very romantic.
Thanks Larry

just finished my latest (3rd) hollow form last week and showed it to my wife....you could actually see her resist rolling her eyes and finally she said "that's very nice honey!" but then she muttered "great, another project with no actual use" or something to that effect...oh well :rolleyes: