PDA

View Full Version : Aaaah....so nice to get some serious shop time!

scott spencer
08-12-2006, 7:55 PM
Last summer I started making a pair of night stands from red elm. Then the roof project moved to the front burner, I got sidetracked with a still unfinished guitar project, got an order for a bunch of frames for a guy at work, clocks for gifts, Christmas presents, and then winter puts my shop in moth balls from about the end of December through late March...and even then it's hit and miss through much of April.

Then my rotator cuff was diagnosed as being torn badly and needed surgery, (I posted about that last spring), which mandated that a bunch of things on the honey-do list get done before I went out of commission for 8 weeks. The only wwing related activities I've been able to do for the past couple of months is posting on the internet about it, and buy and trade a few pieces. Finally today... thank God!..., got the green light from the doc for some light activity, the shoulder feels good, the weather was spectacular, and the schedule allowed the bulk of the day to be spent in the shop. I was able to make some major progress on those night stands from last summer. I actually used the TS, jointer, router, BS, sander, planer, and nailer in the same day! Most of my shop time lately consists of wiping the dust off the machines, straighten some stuff, and walking back in the house out of frustration. It's been along time since I shut down the shop for the night and had anything to look over my shoulder at and admire. Lord knows I love that feeling of a satisfying day in the shop...almost forgot what it was like! :D

Brad Noble
08-12-2006, 8:12 PM
Scott,

Man, I can relate. I am just now getting the "approval" to get back to 'normal' after a bout with Cholangitis followed by a gall bladder removal surgery. No big deal 'cept when your as old as I am getting better takes more time than one can imagine.

Going to be out there tomorrow!!! Life is getting better ..............

Brad

Jim Becker
08-12-2006, 9:05 PM
I'm jealous...of the shop time, not the, umm...surgery... ;)

Vaughn McMillan
08-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Glad to see you're getting back into the swing of things, Scott. Sounds like you've got a backlog of stuff to finish up, so enjoy the busy time.

- Vaughn

Don Baer
08-13-2006, 1:09 AM
I can relate in a minor way to your lack of shop time. I have only been away from the shop for a few weeks and am having withdrawls I can't imagine the time you have been away. Glad your getting back into the swing of things.

Steve Roxberg
08-13-2006, 1:14 AM
Congrats on the shop time, I'll get some on Sunday have a project to finish myself.