PDA

View Full Version : Too many lathes!

Terry Quiram
08-12-2006, 7:14 PM
I own 3 lathes, a Stubby, a Jet mini and an old Atlas/Craftsman metal lathe. A co-worker and friend is transfering to England for the next 3 years and asked me to "store" his 3520. I had to give away a truck load of turning stock to make room for it but I got it done. When I went to his house yesterday to pick it up he asked me to store his Delta midi as well. Holy Crap! Now I am tripping over lathes. On the up side I got his cabinet full of chucks and other tools. Do you think I can wear that 3520 out in 3 years?:D

Terry

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 7:17 PM
Terry,

You'll have to do a "heapo-turning" if you're going to wear out the 3520 in 3 years time. You may even have to resort to lathe abuse to even try and break it. That 3520 is a tough and well built lathe. But hey!!! Give it a shot. You've got another truck load of turning stock to rough out don't you? :rolleyes: :D

Terry Quiram
08-12-2006, 7:30 PM
Dennis

Yes there is probably another truck load of turning stock in the shop. It was getting to the point where I had paths through and around machines and piles of wood. I am determined to "share" or turn the rest before I load up again and thats going to be tough because I have 2 tree service guys calling me. One says he just took down a 40 inch Ash. He chips everything up to 14". The rest goes to firewood.

Terry

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 7:33 PM
Wow, you are a friend! Anyone that's willing to store equipment for a friend for a few years is a saint!

Jim Young
08-12-2006, 8:19 PM
I can help here. I will hold the Stubby for you so that your shop doesn't get overly crowded. In three years you can have it back.

Lee DeRaud
08-12-2006, 8:20 PM
Anyone that's willing to store equipment for a friend for a few years is a saint!That definition of "storage" sounds like a really easy path to sainthood:

"Hey, anybody got a Corvette they need to store for a couple of years? I promise to drive it once or twice every day to make sure it doesn't get rusty!" :D

Travis Stinson
08-12-2006, 8:34 PM
Man, what a dilemma you've got on your hands Terry. "Let's see..........which lathe do I want to turn on today??:D "
Careful you don't get spoiled.;)

Robert Mickley
08-12-2006, 9:28 PM
at this rate, you can rough out a bowl and leave it chucked up till it dries.

Jim Becker
08-12-2006, 9:44 PM
I am thinking you have a teaching opportunity there, Terry...several lathes on hand make for a mighty fine classroom!

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 10:00 PM
I am thinking you have a teaching opportunity there, Terry...several lathes on hand make for a mighty fine classroom!

OH!!!!! Good one there Mr. Becker.!!!!! :D

Terry's School of Fine Woodturning - Sign up now! Class size is limited!!! :)

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Dennis

Yes there is probably another truck load of turning stock in the shop. It was getting to the point where I had paths through and around machines and piles of wood. I am determined to "share" or turn the rest before I load up again and thats going to be tough because I have 2 tree service guys calling me. One says he just took down a 40 inch Ash. He chips everything up to 14". The rest goes to firewood.

Terry

Well....what's keeping ya. Brang me a load!!! :p ;) :D :D

Terry Quiram
08-13-2006, 9:40 AM
Dennis i've been to Arkansas, its your turn.

Jim I have been considering that very thing. The turning club is starting a mentoring program and 5 lathes would make the perfect opportunity to mass educate.

Lee I could make room to store a Corvette or a Porche.

Jim you can't have my Stubby but if you visit you can test drive it.

Curt Fuller
08-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Maybe you could put together an act for next years AAW symposium. Something like those plate spinners that get about 20 plates going at once. Dance around a little with some lively music and have a demo of a bowl, a hollow form, a pen or two, and a nice platter all going at one time.

Lee DeRaud
08-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Lee I could make room to store a Corvette or a Porche.Oh great, now I have this image of a Corvette sitting in your shop, hatch open, Jet Mini humming away quietly inside...

Dick Strauss
08-14-2006, 2:19 AM
Terry,
I think you've got one lathe for turning bowls, one for pens, one for buffing, one for a sanding disc (for segmented work), and one for hollow forms.

A Corvette right next to the lathe idea sounds good to me. Then you'll have an excuse for ungodly speeds (how else are you supposed to clean off the sawdust, silly?).

Sounds good to me,
Dick

Jonathon Spafford
08-14-2006, 2:50 AM
Oh great, now I have this image of a Corvette sitting in your shop, hatch open, Jet Mini humming away quietly inside...

Or better yet turning away with a bowl chucked up to the wheel... I wonder how many RPMs you'd be working at. :rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
08-14-2006, 5:45 AM

I'm with Jim, time to open up the Quiram School of Fine Woodturning. :D

Wes Bischel
08-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Terry,
Isn't the term "too many lathes" an oxymoron?;) :D If not, it really is a rarely used phrase!!:p

Wes

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Isn't that like having a bucket full of turning tools? :D You can never have to many of them so I would think you can never have to many lathes.:p