PDA

View Full Version : The Contest: IS CANCELLED

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 7:01 PM
So, here is the latest and greatest contest. It grew from my time at the ACC where I was wondering just what is the most difficult and feared tool that a turner uses, or better said, aviods using. And that tool is:

THE SKEW

Skew Contest Rules

1) The entire project must be made with a single skew, not several skews of differing sizes but, just one skew.

2) You may drill up to 4 holes in your project, these can accomodate kit parts (like for pens and such) or for decoration. A hole that goes entirely through a piece is counted as 1 hole. Holes that do not penetrate are counted individually.

3) You may finish your project as you wish using only abrasives and film or penetrating finishes.

4) A picture of the project must be posted prior to midnight 8/26 to be counted toward the prize. There will be a poll conducted after 8/26 for people to vote for the winner. Please only vote once. High vote count wins.

5) There are no restrictions upon what you make. The only restriction is that the only turning tool used can be a single skew that must appear in the picture with your finished project.

6) Voting will be allowed until 8/31 at midnight. A winner will be anounced on 9/1 and will be crowned:

PS: all entrants are welcome, not just the 16 brave souls that stepped up on the first day of this post. All other rules remain the same. Any questions about what constitutes a skew should be refered to me.

Additionally, as previously stipulated, all shaping (ALL SHAPING) of the piece save for the hole drilling qualification (see rules) must be done entirely and completely with a single skew, no exceptions. If a piece appears to deviate from this and the submitter can't explain how it was done with only a single skew, the entry will be disqualified. No exceptions.

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 7:05 PM
Awwwwww-Maaaaannnnnn.....Not the Skew!!!!!! :eek: :confused:

OK...better now than never I guess. Hummmmm....can I turn a bowl with a skew?:confused: :rolleyes:

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 7:08 PM
That's the idea. I love bowls as much as anyone else but, that seems to be just about all we ever post around here (I consider a HF a form of a bowl). The skew is a tough tool to master so, the gauntlet has been thrown down. Let's see some skew work...:p

Kurt Rosenzweig
08-12-2006, 7:08 PM
I guess I better go buy one!:D

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 7:10 PM
But, but....Chris....not everybody's going to have a Lacer Skew in their tool collection. Not even me. :rolleyes: :p

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 7:13 PM
Me either. I have 3 skews that came as parts of "sets" and the biggest one is 1". They can be had for less than $40 if you need to buy one. My favorite is the 1" I got as part of a SteelX set. But, most folks do have one, they just don't use them.

No whining...

Keith Burns
08-12-2006, 7:17 PM
Aw, man...............Chris, could you be any more cruel ??? Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 7:19 PM
OK.....you're still on. Skew at 20 paces it shall be. ;)

Andy Hoyt
08-12-2006, 7:24 PM
Can we prep stock with a tablesaw, planer, or jointer etc?

Or maybe even a chain saw so I can go kill a tree for this thing.

Kurt Rosenzweig
08-12-2006, 7:28 PM
Does my Dave Hout Bowl skew count?

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 7:29 PM
The shape of the project must be completely made using a skew. So, you can cut a blank out using whatever but, the finished project must have been shaped using a skew. If you want to knock off the edges with a bandsaw or table saw, sure, no problem. But, if you are trying to shape the project with other tools and just add a bead or two with the skew, it won't fly.

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 7:31 PM
Does my Dave Hout Bowl skew count?

Has to be a flat or oval sided traditional skew. It can be any size but, you can only use 1 for the entire project. I never said this would be easy...;)

Raymond Overman
08-12-2006, 7:38 PM
So by single skew you mean, a spindle gouge, some scrapers, a couple of bowl gouges, and a parting tool. Is that what you mean?

Golly gee Chris, this means I'm going to have to sharpen my oval skew. Argh!

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 7:44 PM
I hear ya brother. I plan to post some tips that were passed along to me over the next few days that may or may not help folks. I am no "Lord of the Skew" but, these tips have made me think differently about this tool. I now think of myself as a sort of severely retarded Richard Raffin wanna-be.

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 7:48 PM
I plan to post some tips that were passed along to me over the next few days that may or may not help folks. I am no "Lord of the Skew" but, these tips have made me think differently about this tool. I now think of myself as a sort of severely retarded Richard Raffin wanna-be.

ooh-ohh....I resemble that remark.!!!! OK...can you pass on a tip now. Since I read real slow? I have to start reading now so I can get it to soak in by tomorrow night. :rolleyes: :p

Corey Hallagan
08-12-2006, 7:49 PM
Oh man, you guys are soooo skewed! I am glad I didn't jump in this!

Corey

Doug Jones
08-12-2006, 7:55 PM
But, but....Chris....not everybody's going to have a Lacer Skew in their tool collection. Not even me. :rolleyes: :p
As is my case,,, oh well, maybe next contest. I'll be watching the results on this one.

Ben Werner
08-12-2006, 7:58 PM
uh oh.... the only thing I know how to do with a skew is scrape!! :o:mad::eek::( hm..... so can we sand and then finish or only sand or only finish?? I'm a little confused on that one restraint.

Jim King
08-12-2006, 8:07 PM
A couple of questions:

Can I use a car spring rounded on the end ? We donīt have any store bought tools here.

Can we use sandpaper ?

And can I use my standard polyurethane finish and wet sand it to a shine ?

Forrest Price
08-12-2006, 8:10 PM
Boy, talk about perfect timing!! Just finished my shop bonker today. Got LOTS of skew work in with that one!

OK, time for the thinking cap. This oughta be fun!

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 8:14 PM
A couple of questions:

Can I use a car spring rounded on the end ? We donīt have any store bought tools here.

Can we use sandpaper ?

And can I use my standard polyurethane finish and wet sand it to a shine ?

Please see above. If you can turn a car spring into either an oval or flat skew then, you'er in...

Abrasives and finishes are covered in the rules section.

Andy Hoyt
08-12-2006, 8:14 PM
Chris - Do all self milled wooden components of the project have to make it to the lathe?

Don Baer
08-12-2006, 8:18 PM
I'm Scewed..Oh well it's worth the practice.

Lee DeRaud
08-12-2006, 8:27 PM
Skew that! :eek: :D :p

I'd probably have better luck beating on a piece of wood with the handle. :cool:

Gary Max
08-12-2006, 8:42 PM
All I need now is to finish the 6 benchs and three chairs that I am building --so I have time for this.
This will delay my turning that monster Oak burl--- but it will be there later.
On the bright side----I know what I am going to turn ---just have to find that hunk of wood that I have stashed-----did I mention that I got to spend some time with Alan Lacer last month. Wish I would of had the coins to buy one of his skews.

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 8:50 PM
Chris - Do all self milled wooden components of the project have to make it to the lathe?

I am not sure I understand but, the piece should not include any pieces of wood that are not turned on the lathe using the skew. If for instance it were a pen using kit hardware then, of course the metal parts don't need to be turned by the entrant. Any wooden part should be a product of the process.

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 8:52 PM
All I need now is to finish the 6 benchs and three chairs that I am building --so I have time for this.
This will delay my turning that monster Oak burl--- but it will be there later.
On the bright side----I know what I am going to turn ---just have to find that hunk of wood that I have stashed-----did I mention that I got to spend some time with Alan Lacer last month. Wish I would of had the coins to buy one of his skews.

I remember that HUGE spindle you turned in cedar a while back...

If you win you will have the money for the A.L. Skew and then some...

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 8:56 PM
Who knows, it could be...

George Conklin
08-12-2006, 8:59 PM
Shoot, Chris. What'd we ever do to you?
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and decide to throw an evil challenge at us.

Lee DeRaud
08-12-2006, 9:00 PM
I can't make out the face in the photo...probably just need new glasses...
but who or what is this "Lard of the Stew" you keep going on about? :D

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 9:04 PM
I can't make out the face in the photo...probably just need new glasses...
but who or what is this "Lard of the Stew" you keep going on about? :D

I would have done Andy but I couldn't figure out what his avitar is...

George Conklin
08-12-2006, 9:14 PM
Forget I said anything. I just read your other thread.:o

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 9:54 PM

Maaannnnn.....my body ain't looked THAT good since....I was born. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Andy Hoyt
08-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I would have done Andy but I couldn't figure out what his avitar is... That's my new turning rig, Chris. When I want protection, I want PROTECTION!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44667&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1155430592 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44667&d=1155430592)

Chris..........that OBVIOUSLY isn't Dennis.....No bib overalls!:D

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Chris..........that OBVIOUSLY isn't Dennis.....No bib overalls!:D

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So TRUE Ken!!!! So True. :D

Gary Max
08-13-2006, 7:35 AM
Rule 4-----Does that mean that we are posting one pic for our entry????

Chris Barton
08-13-2006, 8:17 AM
At least one that shows both the project and your skew. Multiple pictures are encouraged and welcome.:D

Don Orr
08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I am willing to give it a try if I can find some time. Now to figure out which skew to use and what to make.
Hmmm...
1/4 " round skew?:cool:
1/2" flat skew?:p
3/4" oval skew? ;)
1" flat skew?:eek:

I can see I'll be all skewed up with this contest:D . So many skews, so little time:rolleyes: .

OK folks, stop skewin around and get to work sharpening and turning!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Chris,

A little "finish" clarification please.

Can I use, for example, shellac and then buff it out on a Beal buff system?

The shellac I'm sure is acceptable...the Beal buff system .....is that acceptable?

PS....the Beal buff system won't cover up any "catch" marks!

Lee DeRaud
08-14-2006, 10:32 AM
PS....the Beal buff system won't cover up any "catch" marks!You mean "skew texturing"? :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2006, 10:36 AM
You mean "skew texturing"? :cool:

I would only refer to it as "Skew Texturing" if I could repeat the pattern....I can't.....no two "catch marks" are ever the same or I'd use it as an embellishment!:D

Joe Fisher
08-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I would only refer to it as "Skew Texturing" if I could repeat the pattern....I can't.....no two "catch marks" are ever the same or I'd use it as an embellishment!:D
Then you get to call it 'carving' :D

-Joe

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Chris,

A little "finish" clarification please.

Can I use, for example, shellac and then buff it out on a Beal buff system?

The shellac I'm sure is acceptable...the Beal buff system .....is that acceptable?

PS....the Beal buff system won't cover up any "catch" marks!

Let's make it easy. You can use any finish you want as long as it doesn't change the shape or texture of the piece (ie, no 20 grit "shaping" work).;)

Ben Werner
08-14-2006, 8:00 PM
Question bout the rules:

Can we round a piece of wood with a gouge to a cylinder before doing any shaping with a skew?? for instance most of my wood comes from a very unbalanced pieces of wood such as half a log, so could I rough it round with a gouge before any skew work??

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 8:40 PM
Question bout the rules:

Can we round a piece of wood with a gouge to a cylinder before doing any shaping with a skew?? for instance most of my wood comes from a very unbalanced pieces of wood such as half a log, so could I rough it round with a gouge before any skew work??

No. All lathe shaping must be done with a skew.

Don Baer
08-14-2006, 9:47 PM
OK but you said we could drill holes, I prefer to use a gouge to "drill the hole prior to hollowing. is it OK to use a gouge in place of qa drill to open up the center the same as a drill would ?

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 9:56 PM
OK but you said we could drill holes, I prefer to use a gouge to "drill the hole prior to hollowing. is it OK to use a gouge in place of qa drill to open up the center the same as a drill would ?

No. You can use a drill and drill bit but, remember, the idea is you use only one lathe tool. So, only a skew.:o

Ben Werner
08-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Awww %*$ I guess the piece I just started cant be used then.... oh well

Chris Barton
08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry Ben, best of luck with your next piece.;)

Ben Werner
08-15-2006, 6:56 AM
no prob ;) I still have the other end of the branch:D and its pretty round :D

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 7:32 AM
Now that the spirit! Let the curls fly!:D

Mark Cothren
08-15-2006, 8:45 AM
So drill your hole with a Forstner bit, Ben.....(insert evil grin here)......:D

Chris Barton
08-15-2006, 8:30 PM
Due to the number of questions I've received I have made an update to the opening post of this thread; please read...

Mike Jory
08-16-2006, 3:04 PM
:eek: Oh No... A Skew Contest...:eek:

I'm calling Alan Lacer right now!

Lee DeRaud
08-16-2006, 3:12 PM
If a piece appears to deviate from this and the submitter can't explain how it was done with only a single skew, the entry will be disqualified.Anything I do with a skew can be explained in one of two ways:
1. I got lucky
2. I screwed up

Think I'll pass on this one.:eek:

Raymond Overman
08-16-2006, 3:13 PM
Can you start dating the changes so I know whether I need to re-read the rules when this pops up to the top of the list. Has it been updated from the updated update or can I just turn a bonker with my skew and be done? :)

Chris Barton
08-16-2006, 3:30 PM
Can you start dating the changes so I know whether I need to re-read the rules when this pops up to the top of the list. Has it been updated from the updated update or can I just turn a bonker with my skew and be done? :)

Hi Ray,

The rules haven't changed but, I submitted the update based upon the amount of emails and PMs with questions about the rules. I was getting questions like, "can't I use a roughing gouge to get it round first" and "do you really mean we have to turn the project with a skew?" and so forth. My hope is to have no additional updates.

Andy Hoyt
08-16-2006, 4:08 PM
Suggest you start a new thread for entries so they can be viewed as a collection.