PDA

View Full Version : Hot motor?

Lee DeRaud
08-12-2006, 6:42 PM
How hot should the outer case of the motor of a (non-VS) Jet Mini get after 2 hours of more-or-less continuous running?

Mine gets quite warm: not quite hot enough to burn skin but you wouldn't want to hold your hand on it very long. That's always seemed a bit warm to me, but it's not like I have anything to compare it to: it's the only tool I have that gets that kind of continuous usage. It's got a couple hundred hours on it at this point and doesn't show any adverse symptoms.

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 6:46 PM
Sounds like it's normal to me. Mine gets warm as well but, I think that unless it's making a unusual noise or smoking you will be OK.

Corey Hallagan
08-12-2006, 6:54 PM
My little PSI does the same thing. I used to worry about it but I think it is normal. After turning a couple pens and sanding it will get pretty hot like that, I found that this weekend with almost 5 hours of turning it didn't get any worse. No smell or nothing just gets hot.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2006, 6:55 PM
Lee.........You go run for 2 hours continuously and see if not only your outer case gets warm...but your innards too!

Mine gets warm too Lee and it's a VS.....

Lee DeRaud
08-12-2006, 8:12 PM
Ok, sounds like nothing to worry about. :cool:

For all I know it gets to that temperature in the first five minutes...
but the only time I notice it is when I'm cleaning up at the end of a session. :p

Don Baer
08-12-2006, 8:15 PM
Lee,
When I used to sell Baldor motors we'd get call from customers alarmed cause they felt the motors were running warm. I'd askem can you put your hand on it for 10 second without the skin sticking. They'd say "Yes", I tell em then it ain't running to hot..:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
08-12-2006, 8:16 PM
Lee, mine will get to that temperature by the time I turn a pen and sand it. It doesn't ever get any hotter than that but will stay that way until about an hour of rest if I have been turning for awhile.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2006, 8:32 PM
Lee my little Delta midi does the same thing. I was concerned and called Delta. They told me the same thing if you skin don't stick it ain't hot. So I don't worry about it.

Andy Hoyt
08-12-2006, 8:34 PM
Inquiring minds want to know.

If and when your skin does stick (after the factory service rep guy tells you to do so) who pays for the skin grafts?

Jonathon Spafford
08-12-2006, 11:31 PM
My Jet mini gets pretty hot, too. That is funny... I have been wondering if this is normal too, but I guess it is.

Barry Stratton
08-13-2006, 1:09 AM
......the only time I notice it is when I'm cleaning up at the end of a session. :p

You lost me with"clean-up". Whats that????

Don Baer
08-13-2006, 1:13 AM
Inquiring minds want to know.

If and when your skin does stick (after the factory service rep guy tells you to do so) who pays for the skin grafts?

The lawyers would question why you would leave your hand there so long if it hurts..:p

Scott Donley
08-13-2006, 1:39 AM
I don't know Lee, maybe your ready for a upgrade, so you don't burn up the mini ;)

Lee DeRaud
08-13-2006, 1:46 AM
You lost me with"clean-up". Whats that????It's where I sweep off all the shavings so I can find the rest of my tools. (I've got a thin cut-off tool with a flat handle...whenever I have trouble finding it, I just start rooting around in the pile: it gets buried real easily.)

Rob Wilkins
08-13-2006, 5:20 AM
Yeah, I worried about this with my own mini-lathe, too - I'm running a Wilton mini-lathe, and I first noticed it was getting really hot during the worst of the hot spell. Cleaning out the belt drive with an old toothbrush and blowing the wood-chips out with a bendy straw seemed to worked wonders for helping it to run cooler. It helped a lot when the weather cooled down too, though.

It was a bad idea to remove the cover outside, though. I kept track of all the parts just fine, but one small, black screw went flying off when I tried to screw it back in - it's now a part of the forest floor somewhere, and part of the cover is held on with neodymium magnets instead. :-/

Bill Turpin
08-13-2006, 8:43 AM
Most standard motors are rated at a 40°C rise with use. This means that the motor temp will rise 104°F above it's starting point. If your shop is 70°, thats 174° with normal use. HOT enough to fry an agg. Keep the cooling fan clean, if shavings collect on the motor, blow it off every time you blow off your turning. :)

Bill in WNC mountains

Curt Fuller
08-13-2006, 11:47 AM
On my Oliver I like to wrap up some hamburger, potatoes, carrots, and a slice of onion in some tin foil and put it on the motor. When I get done turning, dinner's ready;) .

Earl Reid
08-13-2006, 5:52 PM
I checked the temp on my mini, Jet after running 4 hrs today, Temp was 161 dg F. 1/2HP , class E 60 dg C. This is normal.
Earl