PDA

View Full Version : drum sanders and veneer work

Brad Hammond
10-01-2003, 2:51 PM
tried my first hand at some veneer work this week and i'm looking at purchasing a drum sander and veneer bag to make things a little easier.
can anyone offer any experiences or advice on drum sanders. something around the 16" versions are all i really need. and if you have a homemade or manufactured veneer bag i'd appreciate some guidance as well.
thanx all
brad

Joe Tonich
10-01-2003, 3:10 PM
tried my first hand at some veneer work this week and i'm looking at purchasing a drum sander and veneer bag to make things a little easier.
can anyone offer any experiences or advice on drum sanders. something around the 16" versions are all i really need. and if you have a homemade or manufactured veneer bag i'd appreciate some guidance as well.
thanx all
brad
Brad,

I have the Performax 16/32 and love it. I run the pieces thru twice and lower the drum 1/8th turn at the most. No problems so far. As for the veneering, go to : http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

Joe

Doug Littlejohn
10-01-2003, 4:45 PM
I also am in the process of making my own veneering vacuum press. I acquired the vacuum pump of of Ebay (paid less than half then what they want at the various sites) and was left with tracking down a plastic bag to use. Not wanting to pay for a real 'vacuum press bag' I had little success until I read on some WW forum that you can use a waterbed mattress for the bag.

Well DUH !!! did I feel stupid not to think of that. Now you need to make sure you buy one of the plain ones, no fancy anitwave stuff with baffles wanted here, but these are MUCH cheaper than the custom bags and are also nice and thick and large.

So, that's the direction I'm going. ALl I need know are the vacuum switch, reserve tank and fittings.

As mentioned by Joe, the Joewoodworker site has a lot of good info on making your own press as well as most if not all of the needed materials.

Anyway, that's all I know about that I can add, let us know how it goes.

Brad Hammond
10-02-2003, 3:12 PM
great advice..........thanx guys!