PDA

View Full Version : Delivery guy tip? $$

Aaron Beaver
08-12-2006, 1:19 PM
Wondering if you guys have something delievered to your house by a trucking company do you tip the driver?

Do you only tip if they help you?

Then how much do you tip? (does it depend on how helpful they are)

Or is it just part of their job and you don't tip at all?

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-12-2006, 1:24 PM
Unless they went way beyond the basic service, your delivery is more difficult that average, I'm not tipping.

Tipping in the US is out of hand, we are expected to tip for to many activities, and often when service is not given.

Doug

Mike Hill
08-12-2006, 1:26 PM
Arron: When my Table Saw was delivered, all 400 pounds with trashed boxes, the driver unloaded at the end of my short drive and helped me in the garage. He then waited while I uncovered the stuff to see if there was any damage. There was none and I gave him $10 or $20 bucks. I don't know what others will do, but I know Truck Drivers that will not do a darn thing once it is off their truck. Seemed appropriate to me. He drove for Saia and now honks and waves when he goes by the house. I know our UPS guy and call him by name, he always helps me out and stops to say Hi.

"Do unto others" is the best approach.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2006, 1:32 PM
If they go beyond the norm and are friendly I have tipped. I've even tipped to one who just seemed to be having a bad day....he was working hard to please me but stuff was just happening.......It made his day....and mine!

glenn bradley
08-12-2006, 1:39 PM
I tip if I feel good about it. Do you ever pull this one? When crossing a toll bridge, pay the $2 for the guy behind you. It freaks them out and might just turn some poor xxx'x day around. I have a sick sense of humor . . . HAHAHA!

scott spencer
08-12-2006, 1:50 PM
I've tipped a couple that went above and beyond...$5-$10, especially if I feel good about the delivery as Glenn says (and have the tip cash!). One of them didn't even want to take it :eek:, but eventually I prevailed! :D

Jim O'Dell
08-12-2006, 1:58 PM
I tip if I feel good about it. Do you ever pull this one? When crossing a toll bridge, pay the $2 for the guy behind you. It freaks them out and might just turn some poor xxx'x day around. I have a sick sense of humor . . . HAHAHA!

I had a customer do that for me at the shaved ice stand a few years ago. Your right, it is an instant pick me up. I paid for mine anyway and told the owner to use the money for for someone that needed a little extra to get something for the kids. Jim.

Ian Barley
08-12-2006, 1:59 PM
Like others - if somebody has gone above what we all come to expect I recognise it with a small (£5 -10) gratuity. Regular guys who are helpful, flexible and cheerful get a small gift at christmas. Ones who are inflexible, unhelpful and grim get a card.:)

Al Willits
08-12-2006, 6:31 PM
Most standard deliveries, no I don't tip.
I have tiped the UPS guy who used to deliver all the bike motor parts I'd get on a regular basis, he knew I used them in the shop and would go though the gate to leave them at the side door of the garage.
Once in awhile I'd give him a $5 and say coffee was on me.

The guy who delivered the jointer/planer I bought from York not only dragged them puppies up my driveway but got them inside my garage and helped me move them to where I wanted, him I gave a $20...was worth it to me.

And I agree that tipping has gotten out of hand.
I refuse to eat at resturants that automaticly include a tip.

Al who thinks tips should be for service above the norm

Jim Hill
08-12-2006, 8:18 PM
When I received my powermatic 15 inch planer, the ABF driver was terrific. He helped me move it on my uphill drive and put it right where I wanted it in the garage. I gave him a $20 tip. No regrets....it was worth it to me. However, I have to agree with some of the other posters, that tipping is out of hand. With that said, I try to tip generously when I've received service above and beyond, and tip minimally or not at all when service is poor. I know some workers are poorly paid, and tips make up a large part of their income. I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt when I can. What disgusts me are the ones who expect generous tips regardless of IF or HOW you were served.

Jim

Chris Barton
08-12-2006, 9:01 PM
I have had 4 motor freight deliveries over the past year or so and every one was from a different company. Each of the dirvers helped me get the shipment exactly where I wanted it and some stayed for 30 minutes or so and chatted a while, sharing their interests. Each got a $20.

Aaron Beaver
08-13-2006, 9:15 PM
Thanks fellas, that will give me some ideas and at least see how much or little they help and I can decide from that what to give. Not sure what transportation service is bringing it, but I will find out tomorrow sometime.