PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Joiners?

Art Davis
08-12-2006, 12:28 PM
I am tackling a project that uses a lot of ply with biscuit joints (no gravy!) and hardwood trim. As a slow beginner, I recall reading a lot about them some ten or twelve years ago, but they seem to have faded a bit from the scene---at least in the mags. Are there problems with them? If so, what? And does anyone have any recommendations about which plate joiner to buy? I've seen the reviews, having all of my back issues of some ten or twelve ww mags, but---frankly---I don't trust them after having been bitten a few times by following their recommendations. Many of those tool reviews are clearly aimed at enhancing sponsorship rather than "telling it like it is."
Thanks.
Art

Dick Bringhurst
08-12-2006, 1:00 PM
I have the PC 557. The head on it is more versatile than most. A friend has a Lamelo (sp). They both do the job and are easy to use. Dick B.

Art Mulder
08-12-2006, 1:03 PM
Hi Art!

Oh, they're no longer a "new thing", so maybe they don't get as much press. But, I think they are pretty much everywhere.

I don't think they have any problems. Some purists aren't so fond of them, so sometimes they get badmouthed in web forums. But really, they're very convenient, very quick, and pretty strong too.

I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, so I don't use mine as much as some others.
That said, I have the DeWalt plate joiner, and it works just great. The one thing you might consider is cutting/filing the little flange in the dust port which sometimes gets jammed. (they put it there for safety, to keep out your fingers.)

The PorterCable 557 biscuit joiner is loved by pretty much everyone. I don't have one (as a hobbyist, I think one is enough), but I have seen many people I respect speak highly of it. (Gord Graff for one (http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=newarticles&file=articles_774.shtml) -- check out his jig, very slick little jig to help with biscuit joints, and he has both of the jointers I mention above)

Best,
...art

Hoa Dinh
08-12-2006, 1:24 PM
Art,

The DW and the PC are undoubtedly the most popular. The Makita and the Freud are less so. Most hobbyists can't justify the price of the Lamelo.

At one point in time, I had both the DW and the PC. They are comparable in quality. The PC is more versatile (faceframe biscuit capability, 0 to 135 degree fence setting) and stable during plunging (front handle attached to fence, not to motor). The DW has better fence adjustment mechanism. Since the price difference to me at that time was only $20. I decided to keep the PC and sell the DW.

I've used biscuit joinery in engineered sheetgoods (plywood, MDF, particle-cored melamine) with success. But in one case, after cutting the plywood to size, I had to change to dado & rabbett joineries. Reason: the plywood had so many voids I didn't think the biscuits will hold. Fortunately, the project was only a utility cabinet.

glenn bradley
08-12-2006, 1:30 PM
Another vote for the 557. I really struggled with this as a good price on one is $150, $170 is more realistic. I am a hobbiest and knew I would not be doing a lot of biscuits. I also HATE spending $100 only to spend $200 later to get it right.

I turned to the latest 'unsponsered' reviews (mags that don't take ads). The 557 continually came out as the de-facto standard against which all others are judged in my type of use. The lamello was too steep in price and actually rated lower in some bake offs.

The professional Creekers also overwhelmingly recommended them BUT . . . a little research will tell you about the DeWalt suit, the halting of manufactire on the 'type 1', the resulting flawed 'type 2' model and the new 'fixed 'type 3'. There were enough type 2's sold that there is actually a web site showing you how to make the 'fix' for them.

Find yourself a nice type 3 (its stated as such right on the box). If you are really only going to use it only a few times, borrow one or rent one or spend about half on a Freud or the like. The others are good tools, they just don't have that legendary fence.

Kind of like the 'Align-a-Rip' fence I use on my TS. It works fine but the first time I damage its relatively delicate aluminum parts, I'll bone up for a Beis. The 557 I'll probably have forever.

Jim Becker
08-12-2006, 2:05 PM
The PC557 gets good ratings and has a lot of versatility. For low cost and good quality, as long as you don't need to use the really mini biscuits, the Freud JS102 is an excellent buy. (I have one and although I rarely use it, when I do, it does a great job)

Al Killian
08-12-2006, 2:10 PM
I have a O'MALLEY which works just fine. If your only a hobbiest then this would be fine and its only $65 delivered to your door. I have had not problems other then the depth gauge is metric.

Vaughn McMillan
08-12-2006, 2:32 PM
When faced with the same decision about a year ago, I bought the DeWalt because it was a little less expensive, and I liked the fence adjustment mechanism. I know I went against the majority consensus, but I've been real happy with the DW. I don't have a need to use biscuit joints often, but when I do, the DW has worked very well for me.

- Vaughn

David Tiell
08-12-2006, 4:28 PM
I am a hobbyist at best, but I believe in buying quality if you plan on using something more than once. I have the PC 557, and love it. You can't go wrong with it.

Greg Koch
08-12-2006, 4:45 PM
Ditto what David said. Actually use mine more than I thought I would.

Art Davis
08-12-2006, 5:08 PM
Thanks a lot guys. You've given me a lot of information. Armed with a printout of your comments, I will now hit the mags and review what they have to say.

Art

Russ Massery
08-12-2006, 7:52 PM
Another vote for the PC557

Peter Lyon
08-12-2006, 8:01 PM
My $.02:

I find that I rarely use mine anymore - particularly, when it comes to panel (long-graing to long-grain) glue ups. The reason why is that I've noticed overtime you sometimes get a small depression where ever a biscuit slot was located.

Ken Werner
08-12-2006, 8:10 PM
PC557. But the dust bag often gets clogged before it is filled. Run with a vacuum, it is great, barely sends out a chip. It isn't for everything, but is a great time saver, and does solid work.
Ken

glenn bradley
08-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Oh yeah, what Ken said about the vacuum is right on. I use a very flexible 6 ft. hose to get to my larger collection point. I have heard reports that the bag will even fill up and blow off (or maybe just come loose from the weight(?)). I just bypassed even trying to see what would happen and went straight to the hose.

Dave Lehnert
08-13-2006, 12:35 AM
The Dewalt lawsuit talked about above was a long time ago. Dewalt now owns PC so there are no problems

Jeff Horton
08-13-2006, 8:58 AM
Just so Makita has at least one vote.... ;) I bought a Makita because I got a better price on it than the DeWalt at that time. It's the only one I have ever had but I have no complaints with it. When I did the paneling in our Dinning Room I cut a LOT of biscuits slots with it. I like dowels a little better, not reason, I just do.

Norman Hitt
08-13-2006, 5:05 PM
I've had the DW for several years, and have been very pleased with it. The PC is reported to be more versatile, but for what I do, my DW has worked just fine. Both are quality machines, and will work well within their own capability parameters. It just depends on what you plan to use it for.

Chris Barton
08-13-2006, 5:23 PM
The Dewalt lawsuit talked about above was a long time ago. Dewalt now owns PC so there are no problems

Actually, B&D owns them both...

Joel Maley
08-13-2006, 5:54 PM
I did most of my woodworking out of my dad's shop the last few years and he uses the PC. We completely redid my mom's kitchen and pretty much biscuited all the cupboards. The PC has been a real workhorse for the work we have done. The only thing that I was really disapointed with was the plastic hinge. I have found that you just need to be careful when adjusting the angle. I have no experience with the Dewalt. I am looking at getting one of my own and am still debating between the two.

glenn bradley
08-13-2006, 8:01 PM
Yeah, B&D . . . kinda spooky huh? I did just see a lingering type 2 at the BORG today. No biggie, just an FYI.

P.s. Ditto, the plastic hinge. What's up with that anyway? Just make it steel; seems like a low cost item and they take a lot of flak for it.