PDA

View Full Version : Another question for you Griz 1023SL owners, please?

Mark Rios
08-12-2006, 12:19 PM
This one is about the arbor.

Does the arbor accept a full dado stack?

Also, does the arbor have the dreaded low spot between the arbor shoulder and the threads? You know, the low spot that the second blade in a dado stack falls into on saws like mine? :D

Thanks for your info and advice.

glenn bradley
08-12-2006, 1:36 PM
Don't know. But, since this is on my short-list for a real TS I will be anxious to hear. I do my dados with a router as I am unwilling to spend $$ on a dado till I have a saw that will operate one fully. My saw will not due to a short arbor.

Mike Hill
08-12-2006, 1:39 PM
Mark: My G1023SL is the best thing in my shop and it accepts the Freud Dado set I have. The arbor is roughly 1 3/8" long. There is no slot for the blade to fall into. Picture below.

Mike

Steve Clardy
08-12-2006, 6:57 PM
Yep. As Tom says

1023's have none of that funny stuff

Russ Massery
08-12-2006, 7:18 PM
Same here, My freud dado works great all the way to the max.;)

Erik Rudd
08-12-2006, 8:46 PM
The arbor is just fine. Works well with my Forrest dado set.

Nick Roper
08-12-2006, 9:01 PM
I've had my 1023 (SWL) for about a month now and I am still looking for a flaw. The only drawback I have found is, "What do I do with this extra motor cover they sent me!?"

Steve Clardy
08-12-2006, 9:24 PM
I've had my 1023 (SWL) for about a month now and I am still looking for a flaw. The only drawback I have found is, "What do I do with this extra motor cover they sent me!?"

Ah heck. Maybe a parts bin:D

Nick Roper
08-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Ah heck. Maybe a parts bin:D
I thought of a parts bin, but I can't help but think there may have been a reason they sent it, as it is somewhat deeper than the one that shipped with the saw itself. It makes me wonder if I ever decide to upgrade the motor to a 5 HP, I might need the extra clearance.

glenn bradley
08-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Sounds logical. I wasn't the original post-er but, thanks to all for answering questions I hope I would have been asking soon.

Peter M. Spirito
08-13-2006, 12:57 AM
I also have the G4227 Sliding Table on my 1023 and it allows me to cross cut 24 inches with ease.:)

Charles Wilson
08-13-2006, 9:14 AM
I saw this saw up close at auction and it looked real nice. I was considering this saw as well as the Grizzly Hybrid. Any advice as to positives or negatives?

Regards,
Chuck

Steve Clardy
08-13-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought of a parts bin, but I can't help but think there may have been a reason they sent it, as it is somewhat deeper than the one that shipped with the saw itself. It makes me wonder if I ever decide to upgrade the motor to a 5 HP, I might need the extra clearance.

Not sure on that. Seems odd they would ship another cover.

Mine is a 3hp.
I picked up an extra motor at the tent sale in July for mine.
It is a 5hp motor. I haven't measured the length, but it looks to be the same size.

Nick Roper
08-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Not sure on that. Seems odd they would ship another cover.

Mine is a 3hp.
I picked up an extra motor at the tent sale in July for mine.
It is a 5hp motor. I haven't measured the length, but it looks to be the same size.
Yeah, I thought it was. The least they could have done, if it was a mistake was send me a sliding table like the one Peter has! Of couse the world would never know they might have made a mistake, and I would pray toward Springfield 5 times a day for the remainder of my life.
Anyway, next time you clean it out you might measure it. If you do need the cover you're welcome to it.

Steve Clardy
08-13-2006, 1:32 PM
Nick. Took some quick measurments.
Length, width, bracket is all the same.

Only difference I find is the shaft size, 7/8 on the 5hp, 5/8 on the 3hp, and the 5hp has dual capacitors, where the 3hp has one.

Nick Roper
08-13-2006, 3:24 PM
Nick. Took some quick measurments.
Length, width, bracket is all the same.

Only difference I find is the shaft size, 7/8 on the 5hp, 5/8 on the 3hp, and the 5hp has dual capacitors, where the 3hp has one.
Well in that case I can't imagine why they sent it. Too bad it has vent slots cut into it. I might have used it as the basin for a parts washer plan I found. Maybe I'll plant a flower in it!