PDA

View Full Version : Exposed Mirror Back Covering?

glenn bradley
08-12-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm working on a wall cabinet that will have a framed mirror door (about 12" x 24"). When the door is open the dark grey mirror backing will be exposed. I have a limited thickness of a covering I could apply so I'm leaning towards veneer.

However, with all the great info I've gotten from the seemingly bottomless well of knowledge here at the Creek, I thought I'd ask what others have done. Fabric? Synthetic products? My concern is the back of the mirror getting scratched and showing through on the front.

As always, TIA!

Andy Hoyt
08-12-2006, 10:41 AM
If thickness is super critical, there's always some 1/16" thick plywood from these folks (http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/index.htm). High grade stuff and takes paint & stain quite well.

tod evans
08-12-2006, 11:18 AM
glenn, if you intend to glue a backing to the mirror be sure to check the adhesive on a scrap piece first, both for adhesion and to see if it affects the reflective stuff on the glass. some contact cements will ruin mirrors...02 tod

glenn bradley
08-12-2006, 1:33 PM
Thanks! As usual Tod, you are an excellent source for info in the real world.

Keith Outten
08-12-2006, 5:02 PM
Glenn,

How thick a material will your design permit?

I can think of lots of engraving sheet materials that might be just the thing for your project. There are also plenty of folks here who would be able to engrave a fancy design on the panels or the mirror itself, when you open the doors you would get a nice surprise. Veneer can be engraved as well if you are looking for something special to really identify your project.

Just a thought :)

Jamie Buxton
08-12-2006, 9:07 PM
How are you going to hold the mirror in the door frame? My usual solution is to double-rabbet the frame. The mirror inserts from the back side, and lodges against the front rabbet. The second rabbet catches a piece of plywood (as thin as you want), which completely covers the mirror back. It is screwed into the frame.

glenn bradley
08-13-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm good for about a hair shy of 1/8". Original plan was as Jamie describes but, inspiration struck (read I botched the profile) and I chose to modify my design somewhat. I may end up with screw on 'clips' made of the same wood as the door or maybe picture frame points(?). Not sure about the points, they may look like a bolt-on solution.

The engraving is a cool idea as well. I'm gonna have to give that some thought.

Jamie Buxton
08-13-2006, 1:37 AM
A hair shy of 1/8" will work well with my approach. Use plywood called 1/8 inch. It is generally more like .1", or even less. I can buy it in the local Borg, in 4'x8' sheets or in the door-skin size of 3'x7'.