PDA

View Full Version : First Real HF (Test)

Christopher K. Hartley
08-11-2006, 7:47 PM
Scrap piece of southern pine for the bowl; piece of scrap 2 X 4 for the collar; some heel and sole dressing (modified an idea from Andy)and some twists and turns with no special hollowing tools. 7 1/4" X 2 3/4" with a 2 3/4" hollowing opening and hollowed out to about 6 1/4" opening inside.(Close as I was comfortable getting) Not pretty, but for a test it wasn't meant to be. First one, so constructive comments are welcome and appreciated.:) Thanks for looking.

Dick Parr
08-11-2006, 8:04 PM
Great job Chris, nothing wrong with that.;)

Now, your really hooked....:D

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2006, 8:09 PM
Looking good man! That is nice Chris...especially on southern pine which can be tough from what I have heard. Looks great!!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2006, 8:22 PM
Looks pretty good to me Chris. I don't see anything wrong for your first one. Nice form and finish. Good job.

Don Orr
08-12-2006, 8:27 AM
Are you sure this is your first HF ? VERY nice job all around! Nice lines, nice flow, nice overall balance,smooth curves, the collar works very nicely.
I know SYP can be a bear to work because it tears a lot, but from the looks of this piece you did very well-even on the inside (from what I can see).
I am very much looking forward to see where you go from here. You have made tremendous progress in a short time. Your practice is really paying off.

BTW, I managed to turn one of the pieces you sent from the "Dirty Turning" exchange. It came out fairly nice-great grain! It even warped a little in a good way. I'll try to get a photo up soon.

Take care,

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Very nice Chris! I wondered if a person could do one without hollowing tools. I don't have any yet.................

Don Baer
08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Chris,
Your a brave man for trying to do that without a hollowing tool. I've been putting off trying oone until I get one but now with your inspiration maybe I'll try.

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Ain't nuttin wrong with that Chris. Looks good to me. :cool:

Scott Donley
08-12-2006, 11:36 AM
As the others have said, looks good to me, you sure it's your first ? Can't wait to see your second :D

Keith Burns
08-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Great job for a practice piece. Can't wait to see more:) :)

Christopher K. Hartley
08-12-2006, 1:27 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. As for the first, this was the only other attempt http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37038 it didn't really work out as it exploded and it had no collar. I was wondering if the 2 3/4" opening was too big to really be considered a true HF. I'd also like to know how much you guys sand the inside and do you try to put finish on the inside as well?:)

Ernie Nyvall
08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Chris, nice job all around. As for constructive comments... these are mainly personal preference. I've see these flat forms with the sharper transition from bottom to top like this from experienced turners, but I like it more rounded. As to the collar, I think is a bit tall for this kind of form. I think it should be more in line with the shape of the top of the form... maybe sticking up 1/8" there about.

What I've heard about HFs is that if the opening is smaller than the largest diameter... it's an HF. As far as sanding, well I'll sand a little around the inside of the lip and what you can see through the opening. I do try and seal the wood on the inside with something. I keep a can of shellac to spray in there. I have poured poly in there too and rolled it around until it's coated. Then turn it upside down and let the excess drip out.

Hope this helps.