PDA

View Full Version : Next week----hopefully--

Gary Max
08-11-2006, 2:40 PM
Hopefully next week I am going to make the time to spend the day with this Red Oak burl. It is 29 x 32 and about 10 thick. I am going to trim it down some because I intend on removing all the bark and going after the grain pattern.
It feels like just over a 100 lbs because it is still wet. I just thought you folks might enjoy seeing the blank that I am starting with.

tod evans
08-11-2006, 3:18 PM
cool stuff!

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2006, 3:20 PM
Wow Gary that is one big hunk of wood. That thing ought to be awesome when you get it going. Can't wait to see what the grain looks like.

George Conklin
08-11-2006, 7:12 PM
I just thought you folks might enjoy seeing the blank that I am starting with.

Darn right! Man, that'a a big hunk of wood. Can't wait to see the finished product, Gary

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2006, 7:30 PM
Wow, what you going to make out of that monster Gary?

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2006, 7:31 PM
Gary.....so how are you going to attach that to the rear drive wheel of your tractor to turn it?:eek: :D BIG beautiful piece of wood! Enjoy it!

Tom Stover
08-11-2006, 7:49 PM
Gary that is a good looking hunk of wood, but what is that thing standing next to it???????:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :)

Gary Max
08-11-2006, 7:57 PM
Corey--- I really won't know until I start turning what the shape will be---I am just hoping that is bigger than a tooth-pick holder--LOL.
Ken--- That's the reason you buy the BIGGGG lathe:):):):):)
Tom--- it's not like I am going to stop and get cleaned up for a pic---I still had a bunch of work left to get done. The shop is such a mess you can't walk through it. I needed to clean a path so I could get to the lathe.:D

Barry Stratton
08-12-2006, 2:15 AM
Now THAT is a blank!! Can't wait to see what you find inside.

On pieces that big, do you core it as you go to get multiple pieces??????

Gary Max
08-12-2006, 6:40 AM
Barry-- I turn very irregular shapes so a coring system would not work for me.
There's nothing wrong with that kind of system if it matches the style of turning.:)
Plus where I live at there is plenty of wood. I hauled two truck loads in this week---one I traded for.

George Conklin
08-12-2006, 9:41 AM
Barry-- I turn very irregular shapes so a coring system would not work for me.
There's nothing wrong with that kind of system if it matches the style of turning.:)
Plus where I live at there is plenty of wood. I hauled two truck loads in this week---one I traded for.

Let's see... You live in a beautiful part of the country,,, You have plenty of wood and a big lathe. That about somes it up. What more could a man ask for.:)

Are you goinig to split the blank in half or try to do some sort of end grain turning?

I can't wait to see how this turns out:) .

Gary Max
08-12-2006, 11:47 AM
George that's why I can tell folks -----I have everything but money, which ain't a bad thing.
All I am going to do with the blank is trim the sides off. Just a couple of inches all the way around. This will not really be a big deal since that's just sap wood anyway. I looked at cutting it in half and there just really aint enough there for that.
I sell the stuff I turn--- so having a item that's way oversized makes no sence.
I do have good luck selling big stuff and items that are different. I find that folks are looking for unique items. So that's what I try to make.

Barry Stratton
08-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Let's see... You live in a beautiful part of the country,,, You have plenty of wood and a big lathe. That about somes it up. What more could a man ask for.:)

Uh....George......cold beer!

Looking forward to seeing this beast tamed Gary!