PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 Turnings....

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2006, 2:22 PM
Well here are Day 2 (yesterday) turnings. With doing the finish sanding on the pens and then assembling I didn't get as much new turning done as I planned but I made up for that today. I was up at 5:30 AM in the shop today turning. Anyway, here's what I turned yesterday.

First one is a box from spalted beech and lacquer finish. This was kind of a test for me on the shape etc. Lid didn't turn out exactly what I wanted but I like it.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SpalBeech1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SpalBeech2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SpalBeech3.jpg

Secondly, I needed a shop bonker so here is mine. Made of hard maple and a poly finish.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/ShopMallet.jpg

Well, I am working on the finishes for todays turnings. Tomorrow is rest and relaxation day and final touches on the finishes. Later all, have a good weekend.

Corey

John Timberlake
08-11-2006, 2:30 PM
Love both of them. The box/vessel looks great and the finish is superb. Great job on the mallet - nicer than I have ever turned. Keep 'em coming.

Keith Burns
08-11-2006, 2:51 PM
Corey, I really like the Hollow Form Lidded Box ! Like the mallet as well. Great job on both:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2006, 3:18 PM
Corey my friend I do like that box. Looks like a lidded HF. Great finish on it. I like the bonker but I definately think I would hide that and not show that one to the LOYL. Mine has been known to threaten me with mine. Corey awesome job buddy.

Lee DeRaud
08-11-2006, 3:35 PM
Looks good...what're the dimensions in that box/vase/whatever?

Michael Stafford
08-11-2006, 3:49 PM
Corey, your box is terrific. Just terrific! Nice work! Maybe you need to send the wife and kids away more often.....Yeah, what are the dimensions on it?

Hide the bonker, the wife might use it................on you!

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2006, 6:13 PM
Thanks guys! The box is almost 3 1/2 inches tall and 3 inches wide at the widest point.

Corey

Barry Stratton
08-11-2006, 6:36 PM
Corey, your box is terrific. Just terrific! Nice work!

Ditto what Big Mike said! VERY WELL DONE, Corey! That mallet is pretty impressive as well!

Chris Barton
08-11-2006, 6:36 PM
Hi Corey,

Two very nice pieces there buddy. Lately, I seem to be consumed with thinking about form and what constitutes "good lines" and good perportions in my turnings. I think you did a good job with both considerations in these pieces. I made a very similar "bonker" about a year ago from some waste oak from a stair instalation in a house close to me and it looks almost the same as what you made. Those are great to have around the shop. Keep up the good work and try not to have too much fun.

George Conklin
08-11-2006, 6:58 PM
I'm with the rest of the crowd, Corey. I like em both.

It's nice to have a good shop bonker around too.

Keep em coming, Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2006, 7:16 PM
Corey.......Very, very nice box and great bonker! Is your mallet from a single piece of wood or is it a glue up? I very much would like to make one for my shop.

Corey Hallagan
08-11-2006, 7:20 PM
Thanks guys. Ken, yes a single piece of 12 inch long hard maple. About 3 inches on the large end of the mallet head and 2 3/4 on the small end. Just taped it down.

Corey

Bob Noles
08-11-2006, 8:34 PM
Corey,

More great work from the turn-a-thon. Nice job on both of those pieces. I believe you have mastered that lathe quite well at this point.

As far "rest and relaxation day" goes.... what do you call what you have been doing for the last 2 days :D

Now I have to run hard to catch back up to your level as well as Bernie's.... y'all left me in the dust.

Curt Fuller
08-11-2006, 9:19 PM
Pretty stuff Corey. That mallet is to pretty to be hitting things with.

Jim Becker
08-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Nice job, Corey. Excellent work.

Rob Wilkins
08-11-2006, 10:29 PM
I like the bonker but I definately think I would hide that and not show that one to the LOYL. Mine has been known to threaten me with mine. Corey awesome job buddy.
I told my wife this, and she asked me to make her one. These may be more dangerous than they're worth.

Don Baer
08-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Cory the box is great, It is real close to being a bowl, so when are we gonna se you make a bowl...:D

Scott Donley
08-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Your on a role and looking good Corey. Really like your lidded BOWL :D