PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Knives

Mike Wenzloff
08-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Here is a L/R pair of Japanese knives which Dave Burnard made for me--he's a neighbor and a very nice guy.

The have been hardened but not tempered. Extrmely hard, and try as I might when I was marking out some Lyptus for lap joints last week, I couldn't make them chip.

The small one in the photo is from Woodcraft which I bought 5 or so years ago and helps to give a sense of scale. The DB ones are substantial. They are forged welded--a thin layer of harder steel forge welded to a softer steel.

Take care, Mike

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/db_0001.jpg

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/db_0002.jpg

Alan DuBoff
08-11-2006, 3:04 PM
Those are some very nice knives, which I was fortunate to fondle on my trip to Forest Grove recentely. Wish I could have met Dave. Maybe if I get up there again, I'll be able to meet him.

Dave Burnard
08-12-2006, 1:06 AM
I've been outed! (I didn't even know I was in.) ;)

David Marcus Brown
08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Very nice marking knives Mike. Were those done purely as a gift or is he a "small business." ;)

I see that you use Norton 3x paper -- at least I think that's whats on the sanding block behind the knives. Is that velcro backed or double-side taped to your block?

Dave

Mike Wenzloff
08-15-2006, 1:28 PM
Hah, tag...Dave Burnard's it...

D Brown...They are incredible knives made as a gift from a generous man--as to business, I'll leave that for Dave B as I don't know.

Yeah, the 3X is often in the shop, as well as Mirka for the finer grits. The block is just a piece of Poplar, sized to take a 1/4 sheet wrapped all around with one face overlapped. I have a dozen of 'em. And ones that take a whole sheet made from Bubinga, though the faces are roughly the same width as the wide width of the one in the picture. If that makes sense. Goes around a couple times. Use it for sanding blades.

Alan--the fondle thing gives me the willies <g>. Seriously, Alan did get to handle them. It was a nice visit, good guy.

Take care, Mike
back to worky

Dave Burnard
08-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Hah, tag...Dave Burnard's it...

Dang, Mike tags me again...

I'm not in the tool selling business, but there are occasionally "by-products" from my efforts to learn how japanese tools are (or were) made. Nice to have someone around the corner willing to test them out.

For forge welding practice I started another 16 similar knives on Saturday and sometime this decade I'll get around to finishing them. So maybe Mike will get an upgrade someday. ;)

Frank Desaulniers
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Dave,
I complimented Mike about his magnificent knives on another forum. I'm curious as to which steel you used to make them.
Thanks for any info,

Charlie Mastro
08-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Dave, those are beautiful knives and Mike your're lucky you live so close to Dave and that he's such a generous man. Sure hope I can get to Portland some time soon and meet both you guys.:)

Dave Burnard
08-16-2006, 2:15 PM
The edge steel I use most of the time is a swedish steel with 1.25% carbon and a few tenths percent of chromium - it's probably intended for file making. I've also used 1095, W1, O1, and 52100.

Next time you're out west Charlie, we'll have to try to arrange a get together.