PDA

View Full Version : Rusted TableSaw

Vin Cent
08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey guys.
I have a Craftsman TableSaw, been sittin in my basement for about 3 yrs unused. A large portion of the top is now rusted. What if anything can I do to clean it up? I am at work now, but over the weekend I'll try to get some pictures if that will help with a diagnosis.....

William Addison
08-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I've been a member of the group for a month or so and this is my first post, I hope it's helpful

There is a product named Ospho which may not be available everywhere but where I live, SouthTexas Gulf Coast, is almost one of the basic food groups because of the rust problems we have. It is intended to be a rusty metal primer but if used correctly will remove rust better than anything else I've used. Cost is $20-$25 a gallon.

Spray or wipe the Ospho on and scrub it with a maroon pad, other colors don't work as well. After the rust is gone I wipe some WD-40 on to remove whatever Ospho may be left. Do NOT let it dry because it's really hard to remove. Obviously, it won't remove pitting.

Vin Cent
08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
[quote=William Addison]I've been a member of the group for a month or so and this is my first post, I hope it's helpful

There is a product named Ospho which may not be available everywhere but where I live, SouthTexas Gulf Coast, is almost one of the basic food groups because of the rust problems we have.

Never heard of it. Does it go by another brand name up here in the NorthEast?

Scott Loven
08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
FYI, check the reviews on the right.
http://www.empiremfg.com/index.php

Hans Braul
08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
I went through the same exercise a few months back. I just used wet sandpaper starting at 120 grit, with WD40. It was stinky, but it worked very well. Took me a couple of hours to get all the rust off, and the saw looking like new.

Hans

Jerry White
08-11-2006, 12:30 PM
FYI, check the reviews on the right.
http://www.empiremfg.com/index.php

Ditto to what Scott recommended. I have had very good results with Empire Topsaver, even in a very humid climate. My experience is that the rust is easily gone. Although it leaves a smooth surface, it will not get rid of the residual stains within the cast iron. About as good as I have used, though.

Don Baer
08-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Two Words "Navel Jelley"
Avaible at fine harware stores and also the borgs.

By the way "Vin Cint" SMC TOU requires the use of real names (first and last) so if you PM Jackie Otten with your correct information I am sure she will be glad to update your profile.

welcome to the creek.

Kyle Kraft
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Scotch-brite pad on your palm sander and go to town!

William Addison
08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
You should be able to locate a distributor at this link.

http://www.ospho.com/

I've tried everything on the market and Ospho is far and away the best.

Sanding seems to promote rusting because the scratches increase surface area.

Jeff Horton
08-11-2006, 3:01 PM
I have restored a couple of old machines and I just take my random orbital sander to them. Just don't try to sand out any pits! Just go over the top and clean up the rust, sand it again and keep doing it till it looks good. I started with 80 grit and went to 180 or 220 I think. Works just fine. Then just wax the top with some Johnson's furniture wax or what ever your favorite finish is.

Brian Hale
08-11-2006, 4:11 PM
I'm with Jeff here. ROS 80 grit up to 180 or better, then some 400 grit wet-or-dry paper with mineral spirits. Clean it off and apply some wax. (not car wax)

Brian :)

glenn bradley
08-11-2006, 4:14 PM
Never heard of it. Does it go by another brand name up here in the NorthEast?

http://www.ospho.com/

Wayne Gauthier
08-12-2006, 7:42 AM
I had my TS stored in my old shop for 5 1/2 years. Before I locked that shop up, I oiled the TS. In the five years it was stored it was ok, but, did have some minor rust.

After moving it to my newer home, I took and sanded it with wd40 and wet/dry sandpaper. I started with 180 and graduated to 1200grit,(wiping off between coats with denatured alchohol) using my ROS. I then cleaned it off with denatured Alchohol, and put two coats of Johnsons paste wax on it. I have two small stains on the TS that I was not able to get out. However, it is otherwise in great shape now.

BTW, it took me about 4 hours to complete the process.

I usually put a coat of wax on it about every month or so.. I do the same for my other cast tables. IE: BS and jointer.

Vin Cent
08-12-2006, 8:31 AM
Thank you to everyone that replied.
I will give some combination of theese sugestions a try, once I have some time. Its gonna be a few weeks. Right now I have to spend some time getting the house ready to sell.

Tom Hamilton
08-12-2006, 8:34 AM
Hi Vincent:

Ospho (phosphoric acid) works great; wet/dry abrasives on a ROS with WD-40, kerosene, or other lubricant; some like razor blades with their WD-40.

Lots of choices. You might peek at the OWWM.com web site. These folks restore old machines for fun (and profit) and have many recipes for rust removal.

Welcome to the Creek, Tom, in Houston, using Ospho

skip coyne
08-12-2006, 8:42 AM
I would soak with wd40 let sit 20 min or so and use a scraper or old plane blade , that will get the bulk of it then sand and wax .

works just as well as the high price stuff in my experiance

Bob Wilkerson
08-12-2006, 8:49 AM
Having removed a lot of rust in restoring old machines I'll say that the first step in cleaning up a large flat surface is to use a razor blade scraper. If I want the patina to remain I'll just use some scotchbrite to finish it. Otherwise I just use 220 grit paper on a sanding block. If you need to clean odd shaped parts you can't beat electrolysis.

Bob

tod evans
08-12-2006, 8:49 AM
vin, one product that i don`t allow in my shop is wd-40, it contains silicone and is probably the most dificult substance to clean up. if you get some in your shop it`ll rear its ugly head 6 months later when you`re trying to apply finish to that board that caught overspray.....something to think about....02 tod

skip coyne
08-12-2006, 8:56 AM
vin, one product that i don`t allow in my shop is wd-40, it contains silicone and is probably the most dificult substance to clean up. if you get some in your shop it`ll rear its ugly head 6 months later when you`re trying to apply finish to that board that caught overspray.....something to think about....02 tod

I was curios so

What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

tod evans
08-12-2006, 9:09 AM
okayyyyy. i stand corrected again:o .....but whatever is in it plays havoc on finishing months down the road. granted it has its uses i just don`t want it around any wood i`m planning to build with. .02 tod

Phil Ordway
08-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I use metal conditioning pads - medium then extra fine. You can get them with roloc attachment or hook & loop. I use them in my 9 inch body grinder, my random orbital sander and with an electric drill. Do not use them when you have WD40 or some other oily product on the surface - they'll load up. Using the body grinder I can have a silky smooth table saw top in 10 minutes.