PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Brass

Rich Torino
08-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm a regular on the woodworking forum but I have a laser question so I figured I'd ask the experts. First of all I have always been fascinated by these machines but not to the point yet where I am willing to bite bullet and start a custom engraving business as many of you have...but you never know.

My problem and question is this.. I know these lasers can just about engrave anything but can they cut brass? I am in need of some brass letters aprox 1/2" high and 1/16"ish thick for a clock face. I've searched the web till my fingers hurt but could only find plastic in that size. All the brass ones are 2-4" and used for house numbers....
Any help or info would be appreciated...
thanks....

Rodne Gold
08-11-2006, 10:45 AM
The lower powered lasers most of use wont cut brass , however anyone with a heavier duty computerised engraving machine or small overhead router can easily cut 1/2" high brass letters for you. We do smaller for one of our customers.

Joe Pelonio
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Those can be CNC router cut or waterjet cut (nicer edges). Look for a local waterjet shop. If you have a resale license you can get also them here:

http://www.signletters.com/Products/FCMetal/fcmetal.html