PDA

View Full Version : Planer Dust Hood

Jeff Cord
08-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I have a 13" planer with no dust collection of any kind (it was a hand-me-down planer).
What type of setup have people used to attach a dust collector to this type of planer?
The planer manufacturer doesn't offer anything.
thanks,
Jeff

glenn bradley
08-11-2006, 12:45 AM
What make and model?

Jeff Cord
08-11-2006, 12:56 AM
12 5/16" width.
I checked their web site and no luck on any dust collection accessories.

Terry Hatfield
08-11-2006, 8:28 AM
Jeff,

I used a HVAC register boot to form a new hood for my Ridgid planer. Ridgid does make a hood but it is not very good. Perhaps a trip to the HVAC supplier in your area might give you some ideas. Register boots come in all different sizes and configurations. Most are less than $10.

Hope that help,

t

Julio Navarro
08-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Excellent idea, Terry.

I had a similar thought. I always saw the register boots in the BORG when I would buy my ducts and always had it in my mind that there should be something they could be used for in DC...and here you've done it...MAN I love this place.

Russ Massery
08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I had the same thought. I was at the local borg. I was looking at them because I need to change mine over to 6", Which I can't modify the existing one.

Rick Schubert
08-11-2006, 1:32 PM
I used Terry's idea for my Delta 13" and it works great. I used a 6" line right to the planer.

Rick

Darl Bundren
08-11-2006, 3:37 PM
Jeff,

I used a HVAC register boot to form a new hood for my Ridgid planer. Ridgid does make a hood but it is not very good. Perhaps a trip to the HVAC supplier in your area might give you some ideas. Register boots come in all different sizes and configurations.

Terry--that's a great looking hood. I have the same planer and am going to hook mine up the same way. What size register boot did you start with, and what were the basic steps in modification? I've been winging it with my DC so far (and it's working), but any guidance would get me up and running more quickly. Thanks.

Terry Hatfield
08-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Darl.

I started with a 2 1/4 X 14 X 6 offset boot. You need the offset so the outlet is positioned high enough that it does not interfere with the wood exiting the planer. I cut off most of the original plastic hood leaving just the rectangular portion that mounts to the planer. I trimmed the boot to fit over the remaining piece of the original and attached them together with short sheetmetal screws. You can see the screws under the tape in the pics. Seal it all up with some good HVAC mastic foil tape and reattach. I used some black duct tape to seal the hood to the planer itself. That way it's easier to get it off when needed. The HVAC mastic foil tape is just about permanent so don't put it on the hood to planer connection. The 6" hood powered a good cyclone will get nearly every single speck.

Hope that helps,

Terry

Forgot to say that there is one negative to this setup. It is loud. Especially if you have a good collector powering the system. That much air moving through the output slot in the planer head makes quite a bit of noise. Not that ear protection wasn't a good idea with a planer anyhow but it's mandatory now!!

Darl Bundren
08-12-2006, 3:39 PM
Terry, that sure does help. It takes most of the guesswork I was muddling through out of the picture. Thanks for the help!

Terry Hatfield
08-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Terry, that sure does help. It takes most of the guesswork I was muddling through out of the picture. Thanks for the help!

DArl,

Always glad to help how ever I can. Let me know what you think when you get your hood modified.

t

glenn bradley
08-13-2006, 12:02 AM
IIRC, your right that there is no dust hood for that unit. Seems they got dinged for it in a mag review. I guess Ryobi assumes you'll be using it outside on a jobsite. Lunchbox planers aren't just for outdoors anymore, eh? Terry's got it going on for a good shop-made solution.

Bill Pentz
08-14-2006, 4:36 PM
I have a 13" planer with no dust collection of any kind (it was a hand-me-down planer).
What type of setup have people used to attach a dust collector to this type of planer?
The planer manufacturer doesn't offer anything.
thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,

Head for the local Borg and get yourself an HVAC register that is just slightly wider than your planer. That is what I did for my old Inca planer back in '99. This use of HVAC ducts is how I helped Terry Hatfield go through his whole shop to get the hoods up from zero or poor "chip collection" to actually provide the coverage and 6" connections we need for good fine dust collection.

bill

Allan Johanson
08-14-2006, 6:46 PM
Hi Jeff,

Here's another example for you but the basic gist is the same. Take an HVAC piece and adapt it to fit. I found mine at the local Borg, but if your Borg doesn't have enough variety, you can find a larger selection at a dedicated HVAC supplier.

Link to my old thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17628

Cheers,

Allan

Bill Simpson
08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Ridgid does make a hood but it is not very good.

While your HVAC setup is great for another Planer, I would have to repute your statement on the Ridgid. I have a ridgid and it has enough force to blow up my 2 hp DC on its own , let alone how it collects dust when the DC is turned on. Perhaps you are stopped up or your DC isn't up to snuff.

Just my personal opinion. And support for the Ridgid.

Terry Hatfield
08-14-2006, 11:16 PM
While your HVAC setup is great for another Planer, I would have to repute your statement on the Ridgid. I have a ridgid and it has enough force to blow up my 2 hp DC on its own , let alone how it collects dust when the DC is turned on. Perhaps you are stopped up or your DC isn't up to snuff.

Just my personal opinion. And support for the Ridgid.

Bill,

No, I'm pretty sure the problem was not obstructed ducts or lack of collector power. :) A few chips seemed to always be trying to exit the front of the planer when I used the stock 4" port on the Ridgid and occasionally they would end up laying on the wood entering the planer. The feed rollers would press them into the stock being planed. Never had that problem after modifing the hood to 6". If the stock one works for 'ya that's fine but I just could never get it to do what I wanted.

t

p.s. I have been very happy with the planer in general.

Dave Harker
08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
I have a Makita 2012 planer, also about 12.5" wide.

I used a HVAC fitting, and opened it up to fix the airflow problems discussed in posts above. See pic below, and more on my planer DC web page.

I adapting a 6" pipe to a 2.25"x12" floor register opening.
The 2.25"x12" part is hooked to my planer output via duct tape and some tin-bending on part of the HVAC fitting, such that the fitting fits under some bolts on my planer.

See pics and more info on my planer DC web page:

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/WWShop/dcplaner.html

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/images/dustcollection/dcplFittingIntake.JPG