PDA

View Full Version : Different size router plate rings?

Mark Rios
08-10-2006, 6:18 PM
I see that Woodpecker has their 8 pc. ring set on sale. Can someone please explain why one would need 8 different hole sizes plus the two sizes that came with my new PRL lift? I'm not sure what closing up the hole/space around the router bit would do? I'm sure that there's a reason but I can't figure out what it is, hence the question. :D

Thanks very much for your info and advice.

Doug Shepard
08-10-2006, 6:46 PM
I think the idea is that the less unsupported wood around the bit, the less chance for tearout. Sort of like a zero clearance TS insert but for routers. Someone is sure to correct me though if I'm off the deep end on this one.

Aaron Beaver
08-10-2006, 7:31 PM
I think the idea is that the less unsupported wood around the bit, the less chance for tearout. Sort of like a zero clearance TS insert but for routers. Someone is sure to correct me though if I'm off the deep end on this one.

That's what I was told when I bought my 4 or 5 piece set. They even had a set that was solid that you make it a zero clearance insert.

Allen Bookout
08-10-2006, 7:55 PM
I do not see how they could help with tearout unless you were using an upcut bit or something simular but they cut clean anyway. I just alway ASSUMED that they were for working with small pieces to reduce the risk of the piece from catching on the outfeed side of the hole and messing up the cut. I guess that I have something to learn.

I have one of their aluminum plates with the standard rings and have not had a need for any of the others------ YET.

Allen

Chris Padilla
08-10-2006, 8:02 PM
Allen,

You are correct...it does help that 'catching' situation as well but mostly it is for support of the wood as it gets cut...just like a zero clearence insert for the TS.

I make zero-clearence fences for my router table for various bits like a lock miter joint router bit. On my Incra Twin Linear, I just bolt up a piece of MDF to the feed side of the fence and feed it in to cut a profile. Some will even cut pieces for both side of the fence thus nearly encasing the spinning bit with a zero-clearence fence.

It is all in the name of suporting the fibers to prevent blow-out.

Allen Bookout
08-10-2006, 8:05 PM
You are a real politician Chris! Thanks for makeing me feel better by starting out saying that I was correct when only a little bit of what I was saying was true.

Allen

Mark Rios
08-10-2006, 8:28 PM
You are a real politician Chris!...................
Allen

Hey Chris, maybe you should run for your mayor's position. I'm sure it's gonna be vacant real soon. One way or another, I think he's gonna get thrown out. :D :D :D

glenn bradley
08-10-2006, 9:31 PM
I have some "rings" (that were solid) supplied to make ZCI's for the router table. Wood support etc. is the reason given but, in use, the snagging issue is the one I can do without and these help if your piece is not perfectly flat. I use fence and below the table dust collection so a bit of a gap around the cutter doesn't bother me (no pun intended). Support for small or 'on end' pieces is the big benefit for me though.