PDA

View Full Version : Pantry space

Jerry Crawford
09-30-2003, 8:51 PM
LOML say's I did such a bang up job on that built in chest of drawers she wants me to convert the 9 X 12 laundry room into a room size pantry. The space will be excellent for the job as it is nice and cool year around. The washer/dryer will remain but I'm in need of inspiration for layout and shelving. I want something more sophisticated than just a room with a bunch of open shelving. Anyone have ideas or a site where I can get some visuals?

J

Jim Becker
09-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Jerry, our pantry is different dimensions than yours, but one thing I did was build a cabinet with a counter and a nice storage unit above it. This provides some convenient counter space for things like LOML's "food sucker" (vacuum bagging system) and so forth and keeps such things off the kitchen counter tops. It's shown in the picture below prior to installation. Note that the shelving unit is resting on the counter in this pic, but it's on the wall above the cabinet in "real life".

What I'm suggesting is that you can have the pantry contain useful workspace in addition to storage, especially with that much space available...kinda like the Butler's Pantry that was popular in many older homes.

http://sawsndust.com/images/kitchen-remodel/kr-pantry-preinstall.jpg

Jerry Crawford
10-01-2003, 7:12 AM
Jerry, our pantry is different dimensions than yours, What I'm suggesting is that you can have the pantry contain useful workspace in addition to storage, especially with that much space available...kinda like the Butler's Pantry that was popular in many older homes.

very nice cabinet size Jim. I'm going to want to install some work space in that area, much because the laundry gets folded and sorted there. I also hat places where you have to carry items to another space to work on them so counter space is necessary. At the moment we have large plastic 3 gallon containers stacked up and we buy pasta, beans, rice & flour in large quantities so they are always on hand. I want to incorporate that idea into this new place but have the containers more accessable that just stackingthem up on the floor.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated

jack duren
11-13-2003, 6:12 PM
would something like this be of interest?

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/birch-cabinets/Photo_15.sized.jpg ....jack

Mike Evertsen
11-17-2003, 2:02 PM
how about hoosier cabinets do a search for plans and hardware you can build in metal storage bins for bulk storage,,,,,,