PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Box Finishing

Mike Hill
08-10-2006, 2:42 PM
Here are 3 pictures (sorry for the out of focus ones) of a walnut jewelry box I am building for a Xmas present for my Granddaughter. Boxes are a lot harder than I thought, but I have sure learned a lot. I have some Watco Danish Oil, clear that I thought I would use to bring out the grain in the Walnut. The keys in the miter joints are cherry as will be the inserts and tray inside.

Basically though I am looking for advice on what to use and am open to anything. Would like a sheen or semi gloss finish.
Thanks
Mike

Steve Schoene
08-10-2006, 2:44 PM
Watco works very nicely on walnut.

Corey Hallagan
08-10-2006, 3:09 PM
You have done very nice Mike. It looks great. For my walnut boxes any oil finish will look nice on it. I like to use a wipe on poly that I mix up with tung oil, gloss poly and mineral spirits. Mix equal amounts of each. Just apply just like you would minwax wipe on poly, wipe on, let sit for 5 minutes and wipe off. 0000 steel wool inbetween coats. Can't wait to see it finished!
Corey

Mike Hill
08-10-2006, 4:01 PM
Thanks Steve and Corey: Corey I looked at some of you boxes on line and it gave me some good ideas for the bread box I am building next for my #2 Daughter. Really like the lids, keys and dowels. I assume they are dowels and not plugs over screws. From the looks of your work, the are no screws.

Mike