PDA

View Full Version : Not Snakewood

Jim King
08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
The other day someone commented that they found a toad in the woodpile if I remember right and today a centipede. This is what we found yesterday under a woodpile in the jungle. I was not there or I would not have let them kill it. Here the locals kill everything that moves.

tod evans
08-10-2006, 12:50 PM
jim, i`m afraid i`d have killed that one too. tod

Chris Padilla
08-10-2006, 1:08 PM
I was just watching on the Nat'l Geo channel last night about "Big Snakes" in the world. They were talking about some of the pics going around the internet about these large snakes (Anacondas, Reticulated Pythons, etc.) attacking and eating humans.

They were able to confirm one r. python attack on a man in Malaysia. Apparently some warden found the snake attempting to swallow the guy (he was dead, python broke almost all the bones in his body during constriction, the autopsy revealed) but the python couldn't get its jaws to take in the shoulders once the head was in. The warden did shoot and kill the python.

Jim King
08-10-2006, 1:16 PM
Chris:

About 20 years ago I did see one in the back of a truck that had swallowed an 11 year old boy and the people were going to cut out and remove the kid. Sometimes they lay in wait near shore under the water waiting for a meal to walk by but generally are very harmless. A 25-26 footer is a big one, never seen one larger. I have a photo of it somewhere, I will try to find it.

Mark Rios
08-10-2006, 1:44 PM
Jim, that's too bad that they killed it. That's fairly upsetting.

While some large retics and anacondas have been reported to have eaten people, it is VERY rare that they do. Most animals really don't like us to eat us, we don't really taste that good, and usually only do so (attack) when threatened and they have no where to go. They would MUCH rather slither and wander off to avoid any kind of confrontation.

Last night I just fed my only snake I have right now, a seven foot boa, and will today mourn with it over the senseless killing and passing of that beautiful snake in the photo.

Well, maybe not really mourn with my snake............In fact, my boa is big and fat with two big rats right now so it probably doesn't care much about anything at the moment. :rolleyes: But it's still sad that they had to kill it.

Jim Hinze
08-10-2006, 1:57 PM
I was just watching on the Nat'l Geo channel last night about "Big Snakes" in the world. They were talking about some of the pics going around the internet about these large snakes (Anacondas, Reticulated Pythons, etc.) attacking and eating humans.

When I was much younger (just starting to work for a living), I kept a small ball python... He got sick and my roomate at the time had a buddy who was a herpetologist (sp) and agreed to take a look at the snake for me.

This also allowed me to meet his "pride & joy" which was a 14' reticulated python named "mother". "Mother" lived in his basement... down we went into the "snake pit". Little did I know that he let mother roam free. We got downstairs and "mother" slithered from across the room to about my feet, then inched her head up till she was just below chest level... toung flicking like a wild thing...... I wet my pants :o

I'm not a small man by any stretch of the imagination, but this "things" head was large enough to easily swollow me whole. I had never truely feared for my life until that moment (I was 23)....

My snake went back to the pet store I purchased it at.....

To make a long story even longer, I'd have killed that snake too... and probably wouldn't have thought twice about it... oh yea, and wet myself again in the process :o

Joe Pelonio
08-10-2006, 6:04 PM
If those snakes are common there the people should have known wether it was a threat or not. Unless it was going to attack or is going to be someone's dinner, I hate to see it killed. if one showed up around here it would be killed for sure, just because we don't have anything bigger than a rattlesnake or kingsnake, so people would be scared to death. Just how
long was that big boy?

Mark Rios
08-10-2006, 6:07 PM
Trying to judge the scale I'd say (real) roughly 16-20 feet.

Joe Pelonio
08-10-2006, 7:58 PM
Trying to judge the scale I'd say (real) roughly 16-20 feet.
Whoa!!:eek:

Jim King
08-10-2006, 8:19 PM
I would guess about 16 feet long would be quite close. They are generally quite harmless but as I said the local jungle people kill everything that moves. We do have several small poisones snakes that are a different story and quite deadly and also very common. The save the world groups love to talk about the trees but what is in real danger due to overhunting and fishing is the wildlife. 25% of the fresh water in the world goes down the Amazon and the fish market is empty. No limit on gill nets and poisen but that doesnt bring in as much money for the "Do Gooders" as the stories about the jungle dissapearing.

Frank Fusco
08-11-2006, 2:29 PM
Is that a baby La Sachamama?

Jim King
08-11-2006, 3:16 PM
Si Sr. That is a baby Sachamama. Indian legend says the big ones have trees growing on top of them when they reach full size. A few years ago newspeople from all over the world come here on the news of one coming out of the jungle and going into the river. Reportedly over 10 feet wide and well over 100 feet long and left a wide path of destruction. I beleive it was Teddy Rosevelt that put out a reward of $100,000 during his adventures here for any snake over 33 feet long and someone was just saying that it still exists and with the accumulated interest is now a lot of money.

About a month ago the people in one of the villages next to our property down river abandoned their village as a group of white men with wings flew in and sat in the trees and watched them. They were sure that these were "Pelacadas" or face peelers. The rumor is that most white men will cut off the faces of the Indians and sell them to NASA as the face fat makes for a special fuel that Nasa needs to get into space.

These are old stories but the locals still beleive them and with a few gallons of Sugar Cane they see it all well.

Keith Starosta
08-12-2006, 7:48 AM
Si Sr. That is a baby Sachamama. Indian legend says the big ones have trees growing on top of them when they reach full size. A few years ago newspeople from all over the world come here on the news of one coming out of the jungle and going into the river. Reportedly over 10 feet wide and well over 100 feet long and left a wide path of destruction. I beleive it was Teddy Rosevelt that put out a reward of $100,000 during his adventures here for any snake over 33 feet long and someone was just saying that it still exists and with the accumulated interest is now a lot of money.

About a month ago the people in one of the villages next to our property down river abandoned their village as a group of white men with wings flew in and sat in the trees and watched them. They were sure that these were "Pelacadas" or face peelers. The rumor is that most white men will cut off the faces of the Indians and sell them to NASA as the face fat makes for a special fuel that Nasa needs to get into space.

These are old stories but the locals still beleive them and with a few gallons of Sugar Cane they see it all well.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: