PDA

View Full Version : Cut biscuit slots with a router?

Louis Brandt
08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Hello,
I’ve just seen for the first time, a router attachment that enables a router to cut biscuit slots, and I have a couple of questions. Is this something new or has it been around for a while? Does it do as good a job as a dedicated biscuit cutter, and is this type of attachment compatible with most standard routers?
Louis

glenn bradley
08-10-2006, 1:13 PM
They've been around for awhile. Not close to a dedicated joiner in function as they cannot perform flat surface grooves such as the inside of a bookcase vertical side. They will cut slots on the thin edge of boards to allow panel glue-ups but, from my fiddling with one that is about it. I passed, got a plate joiner. Seemed like a cool idea but has a very limited scope of use. IMHO.

Hoa Dinh
08-10-2006, 2:46 PM
I agree with Glenn. The biscuit cutter for router has been around for a while. It works OK for panel glue-up. But in that case the glue strength is sufficient. Biscuits are only for alignment.

A biscuit joiner is much more versatile. Almost all of my case works (bookcases, cabinets, ...) are done with biscuits.

Lee DeRaud
08-10-2006, 3:43 PM
I had one maybe 15 years ago: sucked like a Hoover.
(It was a gift from my dad, who should have known better.)