PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Kritter is THIS? - PIC (Part 2)

Chris Padilla
08-10-2006, 11:39 AM
This was posted on another forum and to be quite honest, I don't even know if it is a real bug or not! Mighty interestin' lookin' thing real or not! :o

Jim Benante
08-10-2006, 11:42 AM
That is a scutigeridae or house centipede.

Chris Padilla
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
God I won't be sleeping tonight knowing that a Kritter that looks like this actually has the word "house" as part of it's name!! I shouldn't have asked...I shouldn't have asked.... :(

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
That's one that gets stepped on, muy pronto. :eek:

I do NOT tolerate bugs, spiders, or snakes.

KC

Jim Benante
08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
The only reason I knew that is we just had a photo contest at work and someone had a photo of one of these. Here is more info from the web.

House centipedes (Scutigera) are common arthropods with long, flattened, segmented bodies with one pair of legs per segment. The house centipede is up to 1 1/2 inches long and has 15 pairs of very long, almost thread-like, slender legs. Each leg is encircled by dark and white bands. The body is brown to grayish-yellow and has three dark stripes on top.
Though house centipedes are found both indoors and outdoors it is the occasional one on the bathroom or bedroom wall, or the one accidentally trapped in the bathtub, sink, or lavatory that causes the most concern. However, these locations are not where they normally originate. Centipedes prefer to live in damp portions of basements, closets, bathrooms, unexcavated areas under the house and beneath the bark of firewood stored indoors. They do not come up through the drain pipes.
House centipedes feed on small insects, insect larvae, and on spiders. Thus they are beneficial, though most homeowners take a different point-of-view and consider them a nuisance. Technically, the house centipede could bite, but it is considered harmless to people.

Peter Stahl
08-10-2006, 7:09 PM
We get these in our locker room at work once in a while and I call them squarshed! Scarry looking bug. Not something I want running around the house. I see more silver fish then these big bugs.

Jim Hinze
08-10-2006, 7:19 PM
I've always called them "water bugs" because when I've seen them, they've been around the bathroom, kitchen sink, or utility sink in the basement...

I've always just let them be, they look scarrier then they really are. Kinda like spiders.. unless one of my girls sees them, they stay right where they are...

Joe Pelonio
08-10-2006, 7:57 PM
Just a toy for the dogs to play with and eat. They are particularly partial to moths. Never seen one of those though, cute.