PDA

View Full Version : Can I finish hickory?

Harley Lewis
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I have an 8 inch jointer and an older lunch box planer -- will I be able to tool rough hickory? I imagine small tiny bites -- but am I getting into something I should not take on.

Harley

Steve Schoene
08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Shouldn't be a problem.

Chris Padilla
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Why not? Assuming your blades are good and sharp and your equipment in good repair and adjustment, it shouldn't be any problem.

Dan Oliphant
08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Harley, I completed several large hickory projects with the use of a small planer. As mentioned, tools need to be sharp.

Harley Lewis
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys, I have limited experience with Hickory and want to make an island cabinet matching the hickory we have in the kitchen. I know I had a dickens of a time with the hickory crown molding, it is really brittle.

I will get the wood and head on to the shop.

Harley

Joe Blankshain
08-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I have done a number of projects with Hickory. It finishes very well. The issue will always be (and what is stated above) the tools have to be very sharp and calibrated. You should take multiple small passes with the lunch box planer and be ready for some finsih work for tool marks. I have done work with Hickory that required planing, three differnt grits of sanding and in some cases, scraping of hard to work areas. Hope this helps.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-10-2006, 5:26 PM
Hickory is a great wood. It's just a fine fine wood.